Chapter 15

We made it to the freeway. But it had a massive traffic jam of cars. I stopped the car and looked onto the other side of the road. There were no cars along it only a few police cars. I started to get the hang of driving as we entered the freeway.

"Alleigh can you look in the glove box for me" I said.

Alleigh opened the glove box and searched around in it for a bit. She brought out a revolver.

"Sweet" Alleigh said.

"Hey. You know what. This suits you. You should have this" Alleigh said.

She put the revolver up onto the dashboard.

"You can have my pistol" I said.

"I'll have to learn how to use it though" Alleigh said.

"Same here. I don't know much about shooting" I said.

Matthew and Kiara have both been asleep for a while. But Ms. Haywood was still looking out the window enjoying her last moments.

"What was your favourite thing to do?" Alleigh said.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"You know before all of this" Alleigh said.

"Oh. Well. I liked to play video games and things like that. I also loved reading comics and I really enjoyed watching the news. I don't even know why I liked the news so much, it was just so addictive.... Before my mother died our house was full of animals, so animals as well I guess I just loved being around them" I said.

"What about you?" I asked.

"Well. I loved to sing, I was in a dance club, I used to dance pretty much everyday. It was my favourite thing to do. But when this thing started I just never had the energy to dance or sing" Alleigh said.

"Why don't you sing now" I said.

"No, I'm horrible" Alleigh said.

"Well to me it seems like we are the only ones awake. I won't judge you" I said.

"Ok" Alleigh said.

Alleigh cleared her throat and got ready to sing. As soon as she sang the first bit of the song I knew she had talent.

"I found myself dreaming, in silver and gold, like a scene from a movie, that every broken heart knows. We were walking on moonlight, and you pulled me close, split second and you disappeared, and then I was all alone. I woke up in tears, with you by my side, a breath of relief, and I realised, no, we're not promised tomorrow. So I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you, I'm gonna hold you like I'm saying goodbye, wherever we're standing
I won't take you for granted, cause we'll never know when, when we'll run out of time, so I'm gonna love you. In the blink of an eye, just a whisper of smoke, you could lose everything, the truth is you never know, so I'll kiss you longer baby, any chance that I get, I'll make the most of the minutes, and love with no regrets. Let's take our time to say what we want, use what we got before it's all gone, no, we're not promised tomorrow. So I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you, I'm gonna hold you, like I'm saying goodbye, wherever we're standing, I won't take you for granted, cause we'll never know when, when we'll run out of time, so I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you, I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you, I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you, I'm gonna hold you like I'm saying goodbye, wherever we're standing, I won't take you for granted, cause we'll never know when, when we'll run out of time, so I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you, I'm gonna love you, like I'm gonna lose you" Alleigh sung.

Alleigh sounded like an angel. While she was singing Kiara and Matthew both woke up. I could tell she was embarrassed but she kept on singing. I looked at the rear mirror to see what Ms. Haywood was doing. I could tell she was listening to Alleigh singing. We were almost at my dads house when the car slowly began to run out of petrol. After a hour the car came to a stop with no petrol.

"We will have to walk from here" I said.

"Huh" Kiara sighed grabbing her stuff.

Matthew and I both picked up Ms. Haywood and we kept walking. We weren't on the freeway anymore, we were on the main road almost at my dads house. There were lots of cars all on the road that we had to walk around.

"Sam. I'm sorry for saying all those things about you at the protest back at Underdale. You truely are a great leader" Matthew said.

"Thank you, but you had every right to be mad. I understand, I am bit too young I mean you are a year ten and I'm a year eight. I understand. You were just trying to protect everyone" I said.

We kept walking down the same road which felt like it took a year to walk down. We finally made it to my dads house. We walked in through the front gate. Alleigh held Ms. Haywood with Matthew for me so I could knock on the door. We waited for a while but nobody answered. I picked up the doormat and picked up the key which was hiding underneath it. I put the key in and turned the door knob. The door swung opened.

"Hello?" I said.

We all walked in looking out for anything. But nobody was home. We put all of our stuff inside and we quickly closed the door behind us. We all searched the house for food and water. But when I took a break to sit on the dinning table I noticed a piece of paper. I picked it up and read it.

'Dear Sam

I left this note for my son. Please leave it here if you are not my son.

Sam. I have gone up to Tungkillo with the girls, Lyndi and your brother. Apparently the whole of Tungkillo have a Safe Zone there. I hope you find this letter. Please come to Tungkillo so I can see you again.

Love Zabi'

I put the note down on the table. I looked around the room and saw Alleigh looking in the fridge, I saw Kiara looking in the cupboards, I saw Matthew looking for other resources and I saw Ms. Haywood resting on a couch.

"Guys. My dad left a note. It says that he went up to Tungkillo with his girlfriend. Because apparently there's a Safe Zone there. We can either try our luck and go there. Or we could try somewhere else" I said.

"Well we may as well go to Tungkillo. We came all this way. Also we wanted another place like Underdale so it's worth a go. All in favour! Raise your arm" Alleigh said.

Everyone except Ms. Haywood raised their arm.

"Ok, we will leave first thing in the morning" I said.

We all set up a comfy area for all of us to sleep on. Afterwards we searched outside for weapons. We found two hatchets and an axe. It began to become dark so we locked up and set up a small fire in a metal bucket.

"Guys! Ms. Haywood doesn't have a pulse" Kiara yelled panicking.