Chapter 7

It's been a week since the group left. We've had no sign of them. We were told that they were meant to come back yesterday. But we haven't seen them.

All the friends of the students who went out normally wait out at the fences for them to get back. I've kept my eyes peeled for them every time it was my turn to guard the perimeter.

I looked around the STEM building seeing everyone's faces. Everyone's changed since the start of all of this. Everyone is quiet for once. To be honest it's a good thing. I felt someone tap me on my shoulder. It was a new guard called Kevin. He's a year nine. It was his first year here. Same as mine.

"My shift has ended it's your turn now" Kevin said.

I nodded and stood up. I pushed my chair in and walked out of the STEM building and out to my normal spot, the back fence next to the schools oval. I stood still and I looked out at the oval. I could just imagine the four of them running towards me. I would open the gates for them and they would have hundreds of bags of food, water, and Ice Tea. My favourite drink of all time.

I looked up at the clouds. I watched them as they slowly went over head.

"hey!" I heard a faint voice.

"help!" I heard the faint voice yell.

I looked down and I saw Kate, stumbling across the oval. She fell to the ground and started crawling.

"Shit" I said as I quickly ran to the gate.

I grabbed the lock and felt in my pocket for the keys. Kevin never gave me the keys, and I forgot to ask him for them. I looked over at Kate and I saw two Walkers slowly walking towards her.

Without thinking I quickly grabbed the top of the fence, and pulled myself over the fence. I ran across the oval towards Kate who was still trying to crawl away from the Walkers.

Once I got to her she put her hand out for me. I quickly grabbed it and put it around my shoulder. I slowly picked Kate up. I noticed that she had blood all over her. She had blood over her clothes, hands and all over her face.

I didn't need to worry about that right now though. I needed to get her back inside. We kept going but I could tell Kate was getting tired. She was starting to walk slower. I looked behind us and I saw the the Walkers were going faster than us.,

"Come on Kate, keep pushing. We are almost there" I said.

"I... I think I'm going to pass out" Kate said as she stopped walking.

She collapsed to the ground. I caught her so she didn't hurt her head. I slowly put her down onto the green grass and looked at the Walkers. I didn't know what to do. I turned around and put my hands over my mouth.

"SOMEBODY HELP! HELP!" I yelled as loud as I could.

I waited a couple seconds and no one came so I started yelling again.

"HELP! SOMEONE PLEASE!" I yelled.

I looked at the gate and I saw a whole heap of people running over.

"OPEN THE GATE!" I yelled.

I saw Mr. Harris walking over to the gate. He just stood there and looked at me. I quickly picked up Kate, putting my arm under her legs and my other arm on her back. I quickly ran back to the gate. She was heavier than I thought.

I got to the gate and caught my breath. I looked up and I saw Mr. Harris just standing there. He wasn't opening the gate.

"Open the gate" I said.

"Excuse me? You don't tell me what to do" Mr. Harris said.

I looked over at Kevin as he quickly walked over and unlocked the gate. He opened the gate as I quickly slipped inside. Kevin closed and locked the gate. I put Kate down onto the ground.