Chapter 14

I looked behind me and saw Matthew, Kiara, Alleigh and I all holding some sort of weapon.

"Are you guys ready?" I said.

"Yeah" Matthew said.

"Wait. Guys you will die! This is crazy!" Ms. Haywood yelled.

"But we will die trying" I said opening the door while sprinting out to take down the closest Walker.

After these hard seventy four days I've been practicing taking down Walkers. Now I can take down every Walker in one hit with a hatchet. Before it would take at least two hits because I wasn't hitting them hard enough. We all broke apart and started to kill the Walkers trying to walk up the steps to the Home Economics Room. It was easy because the position we were in. But soon we would have to move. Because there would be a big pile of dead Walkers. Once the pile of dead Walkers began to become impossible to fight we all jumped off the steps and ran around towards the bike locks. Once we got there I could see other students trying to fight back as well.

"Look! We need to get over to the rest of the people and help them" I said.

"Um, Sam" Alleigh said.

I turned around and noticed we were surrounded by Walkers.

"Keep fighting! We need to get to the others" I said.

We all quickly dodged most of the Walkers but also killed some of them that we ran past. The smell of the Walkers ran up my nostrils as we ran past them. I tried hard not to vomit. We kept running when we finally made it to the group of students.

"Sam!" Josh yelled.

It was Josh. He looked petrified. We all faced the Walkers coming at us and waited until they got closer. We all took them out one by one. Soon after there were only a few left. We took out the last few and caught our breaths.

"There could be more. Stay alert" I said.

"I can't believe we did it" Kiara said.

I looked at everyone and saw Josh sitting on the ground rocking back and forward. He had blood all over him. I didn't see him take out any Walkers, he must of held back and watched. But he looked like he was going crazy. That's when I could hear cars coming towards us again. But this time they were coming towards the schools carpark. Two big military green trucks came crashing through the gates. That's when I noticed that there were people on the back of the truck aiming at us with what it looked like was Police Grade weapons.

"Run!" I yelled.

We all ran for it trying to make it for cover. I noticed Josh was still sitting on the ground. I decided to keep running. All around me people were being shot. I could hear screaming and people falling to the ground. Matthew, Kiara, Alleigh and I all made it back to the Home Economics Room. We quickly ran to Ms. Haywood while I watched out the window. All I could see was dead Walkers and dead people, either ripped apart or trembling on the ground from being shot.

"We need to get out of here" Matthew said.

"We can't just leave this place" I said.

"Sam. Are you fucking dumb! We are only kids! We can't fight against adults that have assault rifles in their hands! We've got to go" Matthew said.

I thought for a bit. When Alleigh walked up to me.

"Sam. Your an amazing leader. I'm with Matthew on this one. We have to go. I know you want to stay loyal to this place. But you will die if you do" Alleigh said.

I looked at Alleigh. Then I looked over at Kiara and Matthew holding Ms. Haywood who looked like she was about to pass out.

"...ok. Let's get out of here" I said.

I quickly picked up as much food and water as I could and shoved it into a bag. We then all ran towards the front gate. We hid behind a building and looked around the corner. The attackers were just on the other side of the building.

"Ok. When we get the chance. We bolt for it" I said.

Everyone nodded and we got ready to run.

"Guys just leave me here. I'm gonna die anyway" Ms. Haywood said.

I turned around and looked at her.

"We never leave anyone behind" I said that was a lie. I was thinking about Josh as I said that. I just left him.

Kiara and Matthew held Ms. Haywood tightly.

"Ok ready. Now" I said.

We all sprinted across the basketball court as quickly as we could when Kiara accidentally tripped half way across it.

"Shit, are you ok?" I asked

"I'm fine come on we have to go" Kiara said.

I grabbed Ms. Haywoods arm and quickly walked past the basketball court. I noticed that Kiara now had a limp. We made it to the two cars that smashed through the gate while Alleigh and I were on watch. We all hoped into one of them and I got into the drivers seat. I put the key in and turned it. The car didn't start.

"Shit. Come on, come on" I said.

"Do you even know how to drive?" Matthew said.

"I've only driven once. And that was on a go cart. So no. I don't" I said.

But then my heart started to beat so fast when I heard people shouting from the distance.

"Over here!" Someone yelled.

"Hurry up!" Kiara said.

"Argh!" I screamed turning the key as hard as I could.

*VRRRR*

The car started. I quickly put it into reverse and quickly backed up. I turned and then put it in drive. I then quickly stepped my foot on the pedal as hard as I could. The car did a few skids and we were off. Just in time as well, I looked in the rear mirror and saw the attackers watching us drive down the road.

"Yeah!" Alleigh said excitedly.

"Jeez that was scary" Kiara said laying back.

"So were are we going to go?" Alleigh said who was sitting in the passenger seat next to me.

"I'm thinking we should go to the Adelaide Hills. Maybe we could also drop off at my dads house as well, to see if he's still there. Do you guys have any family you want to see?" I said.

"No, I don't wanna know if they are alive" Alleigh said.

"Same here" Kiara said.

"Keep going" Matthew said.

I looked at the rear view camera and noticed Ms. Haywood looking out the window. She wasn't talking. I guess she was just trying to keep in her final moments alive.