Chapter 8

It was time. I could feel the mood in the air. Everyone was scared because it was time for Mr. Harris to choose the next group of students to go for supplies. Only one person returned last time. But she didn't mentally return. She changed. She saw all three of her friends die. Right in front of her. I would never know what that feels like.

Mr. Harris was angry that she didn't bring back a single crumb. I don't blame why she didn't bring anything back. She couldn't. The things she explained to me yesterday. The things she went through. I couldn't even imagine it.

I was walking with Alleigh and Kiara down the hallway towards the STEM building. Mr. Harris called us because he had an announcement. Everyone knows what the announcement is.

We made into the STEM building and we all waited for Mr. Harris to begin. He was standing out the front tapping his fingers on his arm and tapping his foot while he waits for us to all flock in.

As everyone came in he stepped forward, uncrossed his arms and began to talk.

"You know why we are here. Kate didn't come back with any food. Nothing. She came back with nothing. Now we are worse then ever. We have no food, we are running out of water. So I need to send people that I know can bring food back" Mr. Harris looked straight at me when he said that.

I knew he was going to pick my name. He tried to hide it by looking away from me. But I knew it may of been me from the start. He got pretty angry at me yesterday.

"I'm just gonna get right to it. Sam, Alleigh, Kiara and Jia. Please step forward. I trust in you four, and I know that you can bring back us all something. If not we are all going to die, and we will know who to blame. I'll meet you all at the front gate, same as last time. Continue what you were doing. Guards get back to work" Mr. Harris said walking towards us four.

All the students walked away. Mr. Harris walked right through us and turned around.

"Come on" Mr. Harris said.

We all followed him. We were all scared. We can't survive out there. We can hardly even take down a Walker. Imagine if we were attacked by ten of them. There's no way we would live through that.

We walked out through the STEM building and outside to the front gate. Mr. Harris had a bag in his hand. He chucked it in the ground.

"Choose your medicine" Mr. Harris said.

Jia picked up the bag and opened it straight away. He looked inside and took out a kitchen knife. He took it for himself and passed the bag along. Alleigh picked out a hammer, she passed it onto Kiara. She took out another kitchen knife. Kiara then handed me the bag. I looked inside and I saw a hatchet. I took the hatchet out of the bag and held onto it tightly. I put the bag onto my back and looked at Mr. Harris as he unlocked the gate and opened it.

We all walked out one by one. Mr. Harris grabbed my arm tightly as I was about to walk out and looked at me.

"You better bring something back" Mr. Harris said letting go of my arm.

I walked out and Mr. Harris slammed and locked the gate behind us. We all stood in a circle.

"Get moving" Mr. Harris said.

Jia rolled his eyes and just started walking down the road. Mr. Harris smirked at me as I followed him.

"Do you have any idea where you are even going?" Kiara asked.