Chapter 5

"There's been a lot of stress lately. We've had nine students sadly die. But we aren't going to let their deaths bring us down. We have to keep fighting. So that's why I've decided to open up the building. I will allow you to walk around the school grounds. But we will need to assign people jobs. We need guards, lookouts. The year level leaders will assign them, they can assign themselves as well. Talk you your year level leader of you would like to become a lookout. Only five per year level. The doors will open in thirty minutes" Mr. Harris said.

Alleigh and Kiara both looked at me. I knew they wanted to be lookout.

"You guys want to be lookout?" I asked.

"Yeah. We would like that" Kiara said.

"Ok. I was thinking of assigning myself as well. I would rather be out there on the fence rather then in here" I said.

"So you need two more people" Alleigh said.

"Who ever asks first I'll give it to them" I said.

I saw a few people come up to me. About seven. I looked at all of them. I couldn't decide. So I just picked them out randomly. I pointed to two random year eight students. They both stepped forward. I didn't know their names.

"What are your names?" I asked.

"Xavier" the short one said who had lots of freckles and ginger hair.

"Tony" The taller one said who had glasses on and was Asian.

"Use five will be the lookouts. I guess we wait for instructions from Mr. Harris" I said.

All the year eights who volunteered walked away as us five stayed together. Mr. Harris walked around to each year level. He got to us last.

"I want you guys to watch the back fence where the oval is. It's pretty simple, just walk back and forth and if you see something call it out. Got it?" Mr. Harris said.

We all nodded as Mr. Harris walked over to the doors to the building.

"All lookouts with me! We will do a sweep of the school! Once it's clear everyone can come out" Mr. Harris said.

It felt weird that he got us to check if it was safe. We were only teenagers while he's an adult. He stayed inside while we all walked out of the building. We were finally outside.

Xavier, Tony, Alleigh, Kiara and I all went to look around our section of the school, which is at the back fence next to the oval. Once we got there we walked up and down looking for any one who had the virus. We didn't find anything.

After about twenty minutes we all came together. None of us found anything so we made our way back to the main building where we stayed.

We walked in with the other year level leaders as Mr. Harris closed the door behind us all. We all stood together.

"We found nothing by the carparks. It's safe there" Jesse Hays the year twelve leader said.

"The west side is clear" Rowan Lewis the year eleven leader said.

"The school grounds are clear, there's nothing" Jasmine Bridgers the year ten leader said.

"We saw two of them out the front of the school. They are on the other side of the fence though" Jia Thitinun the year nine leader said.

"There's no sign of anything at the back of the school" I said.

Mr. Harris nodded. He walked towards the doors walking past us. He grabbed the handles and pulled them open.

"Keep away from the fences! If you are caught anywhere near the fences you will come back in straight away. Enjoy the sunlight" Mr. Harris said stepping out of the way.