Chapter 22

THE NEXT DAY

After a long night I woke up by the campfire. I stood up and walked over to Mabels friend's house. I saw Elara keeping watch in front of the cell we put Matthew in. He seems really pissed off because he was locked up.

"How's it going?" I asked.

"He's been quiet for the whole night" Elara said.

"That's good" I said.

I saw Alleigh walking up to us.

"What are we going to do to him?" Alleigh said.

"I don't know. We could keep him in a cell for a while till he gets over it" I said.

"What if he doesn't. I think we should just kill him" Alleigh said.

"I can't. Not now, not ever. I don't want to kill people. Killing people isn't always the option. There are many different options rather then killing him. We aren't monsters" I said.

"Ok" Alleigh said.

"Anyway. Let's go try to find some weapons now. Alleigh I want you to come with me" I said.

I walked over to the campfire where everyone was gathered.

"Alleigh and I are both going out to try to find some guns and ammo for tomorrow. Keep watch of Ana and Matthew" I said.

Everyone nodded as I got into a car. Frances opened the gate as Alleigh got in.

"Where to first?" Alleigh asked.

"We will go try the one gun store I know of in Adelaide, then we will search Police Stations and then we will go to Underdale to see if maybe they left any weapons, but also I just want to see what it looks like" I said.

I drove through the open gate heading onto the road.

"So where's the gun store?" Alleigh asked.

"It's down in the city" I said.

"Well. I'm going to get some sleep" Alleigh said.

Alleigh closed her eyes and fell asleep facing me. I grabbed a blanket from the back and put it over her. I drove past the long row of cars on the freeway and finally made it out of the freeway. The good thing about coming up from the hills to Adelaide is the view.

Once you exit the freeway you can see the small city glistening in the sun. But it wasn't glistening as much as it used to. Most likely because nobody has been cleaning the windows. As I drove down the small hill you could see the West Pac building, which is the tallest building in Adelaide. I could only see the top of it though. It was kind of hard to see where the big 'W' on the top of it was because it wasn't illuminated in red. As the whole building disappeared from sight I kept going forward instead of turning left which was the way to Underdale.

As I went straight I saw big buildings that I remember from before this. I haven't been in the city since this whole thing started. Alleigh slowly woke up and looked out the window looking up at the top of the tall buildings we drove past.

"What do you think it would be like in the city?" Alleigh asked.

"I don't know. We are bound to see a few Walkers because it's where most of the people who live in South Australia lived. So we've just gotta hope" I said.

"Ok" Alleigh said.

Alleigh went quiet for a bit. She had something clearly on her mind.

"Sam, are we really going to keep Matthew alive. I mean he was going to kill you, also what he said about Ms. Haywood was so disrespectful and just psychotic. We have to kill him. Because if he gets out he will kill you, and maybe others" Alleigh said.

I concentrated on the road a bit more trying to ignore what she said. But deep down inside me I knew he had to be killed, but I don't think I will be able to kill another person. Even if I got someone else to do it I would feel guilty and I would be named as a coward.

"I know we have to. I just don't think I can do it. Matthew was with us since the start, and he's apart of our family" I said.

"Not anymore. He decided to leave the family by trying to kill you" Alleigh said.

I thought for a while. That's when it hit me.

"Why don't we just exile him. Give him a bit of food and water and send him away" I said.

"But he would know where we live" Alleigh said.

"We can take him far out. Far away from here" I said.

I think Alleigh agreed with me because she didn't say anything after I said that.

"Where almost there" I said.

I turned down the last road to get to the gun store. We finally made it. I stopped in front of the gun store and got out. I walked up to the store and tried to open the door. It was locked. I grabbed a crowbar we had in the boot of the car and tried to open the door. The door made a crack sound and the door flung open.

"It hasn't been searched, it's been almost ninety days now" I said.

Alleigh and I both walked in and saw a bunch of guns and body armour hanging up on the walls.

"Pick up the gun bags over there and fill them up with as much guns and ammunition as possible. I will grab all the body armour and then I will help you" I said.

Alleigh got straight into it. She grabbed a gun bag and picked up some guns and started to fill up the bags with them. I quickly jumped behind the counter and grabbed all the body armour. I chucked them into the back of the car. That's when under the counter I found an AWM. Which is a type of sniper. I picked it up and looked at it closely.

"Hey Alleigh. I've got something for you" I said.

Alleigh looked over at what I was holding. She smiled and walked over to me. She took it from my hands and examined it.

"Thank you" Alleigh said excited.