Chapter 6

It's hard to sleep. Every night when I get the chance to fall asleep I wake up by either a bad dream or someone next to me moving around to get comfortable. I tend to just rest my head on the pillow and look up at the ceiling.

It's scary to think that just across the hallway is a room full of nine of the dead, I mean Walkers. I need to get used to calling them that. If I focused enough on the ceiling I can hear the creaks and steps of the Walkers and the moans and groans they make.

We are gonna have to deal with them one day. If they were to get out we would all be doomed. it took me a while just to kill one of them, imagine nine of them.

I felt someone next to me. They rolled onto their side and their elbow was digging into my hip. I slowly moved over and took a deep breath in.

I am really tired. I let out a long yawn. I just wish I can fall asleep. But it's hard. I'm starting to see things. Just a few minutes ago I thought I saw something. But I looked again and it was gone.

I wiped sleep from my eyes and I closed my eyes. I focused on trying to get to sleep. I tried as hard as I could. I started to see glimpses, pictures of Walkers, pictures of the blood of people we lost. Pictures I can't get out of my head.

I opened my eyes again and let out another long yawn. I stayed awake the entire night. It didn't seem long until the sun slowly came up. I slowly got up and I crept over everyone trying to get to the windows. Once I got to them I looked out and let the sun shine onto my face. I closed my eyes. I wish everything went back to normal. I wish this was all just a dream, and I'm going to wake back up next to my mother hugging and kissing me. I'll wake up to the family dinners. I'll wake up to my brother arguing with me. I'll wake up to my father reading the newspaper with his glasses halfway on his face. I'll be back home.

I slowly crept back over everyone and walked outside of the room. It was pretty light already. There were a few people up, mostly teachers and older year levels. It's funny to see everyone without makeup and with messy hair.

I walked downstairs and into the STEM room. They were serving breakfast already. It looked smaller then normal. Yesterday we each had two eggs and three strips of bacon. Today we only had a green apples. They must be starting to ration our food supply. We are going to run out of food soon. I wonder what's going to happen when we do. Will we get a drop off from the military? Is there even a Military?

I took large bite of my apple as Alleigh sat down next to me. She rested her head onto my shoulder and put her green apple onto the table.

"I dislike green apples" Alleigh joked.

Alleigh put her hand onto my knee. I grabbed her hand and held it. She must of had a hard night. I let go of her hand and I put my arm around her. It's sad seeing her like this.

"I don't mind either. But I like red apples more" I said.

Alleigh picked up her apple from the table and took a bite out of it with a loud crunch.

"Did you have a nice sleep?" I asked.

"Kind of. I got to sleep at about midnight I think. What about you? Did you have a nice sleep?" Alleigh asked.

I looked at my apple as I took another large bite out of it.

"I did" I lied.