Chapter 18

{This chapter is interesting to say the least}

It had been 5 or so days, you hanging around with Kakashi for pretty much the entire time. You sent letters back and forth with Itachi, deciding the next meeting and discussing plans for dealing with Orochimaru. It seemed like Marco was getting antsy with how many genjutsu he was being put under, but he still wasn't quite sure what was going on. 

At night, you and Obito would pretty much just laze around, enjoying each other's company. The original purpose of those meetings had been mostly abandoned at this point, but you both couldn't really find it in yourselves to care that much.

You see the summons to go to the Hokage, a bird overhead. It caws three times before flying off, you nodding and teleporting straight to his doors. Pushing them open because of the other Jounin, you step in. You ignore the looks given by people who had arrived earlier than you, moving to Kakashi's side. He had gotten there early for once, knowing how important it was. 

"Leader Jounin, you will stand with your teams. Normal Jounin, you will stand around me. Is that clear?" The Hokage announces, looking at all the faces in his office.

In sync, everyone says yes. 

"Good. We will meet at the examination area in fifteen minutes. You all are dismissed."

A steady stream leaves the office, some scornful looks directed at Hiruzen from other villages. Your eyes narrow at them, but Kakashi's hand lands on your shoulder, distracting you. 

"We need to prepare the sealing area." 
He looks at you calmly while you nod. 

"Let's get going, then."

You stand beside Anko, in one of the two lines extending diagonally from the Hokage. He begins his speech, soon transferring to Hayate while you look over the teams. After finishing his speech, you see Kabuto raise his hand, watching as Naruto seems bewildered by his decision. Kabuto walks out of the door, but not before sending a tiny smirk over his shoulder, directed at the suspiciously Orochimaru-like Jonin. It was very obviously Orochimaru, but hey, can't reveal that or else the timeline may go to shit. 

The Hokage was safe for now.

As the first pair is called up, you and the other proctors take positions in between the Jounin that surrounded the Hokage. You, of course, were put next to the overly pale man.

Sasuke jumps down from the upper floor, and lands in a cool position like always, wowing the girls and a few Jounin. His enemy also hops down, not nearly as impressive with his basic looks and simple entrance. 

Orochimaru glances to his side, seeing you silently watching as the two take their stances and begin their fight. 

In the beginning it was one-sided as hell, Sasuke getting smacked around like it was his entire purpose in life. You wince as his back hits the ground, him coughing as his breath leaves him. Almost like when Madara-

Orochimaru raises an eyebrow as he sees you shake your head slightly, reforming your serious face. His iris moves from the corner of his eye to the fight in front of him, pondering. Why did you shake your head? A bad thought, or memory perhaps?

He would investigate later. 

You see Sasuke begin to turn the tides of the battle, using Lee's taijutsu to take down the goon who's name you definitely remember. The moment he slams the guy to the ground and is declared a victor, you and Kakashi are at his side, soon teleporting to the room you had previously set up for him. He recovers his breath as you grab a bowl filled with blood, him removing his shirt at Kakashi's request. Kakashi writes the various symbols stretching out from his curse mark, Sasuke shivering at the feeling.