Chapter 20

Your hood, protecting your face from the rain, droops as it gets hit by the variously sized drops. Is it cliche to say that it felt like the sky was crying? The clouds let out thunderous roars, and rain streamed to the ground, mixing with citizen and shinobi's tears alike.

But not yours.

You stare at the casket, taking the steps up to it as you place your pristine flower, the same color as his old robes, atop the sleek wood.Your gaze stalls on the sharply carved box as your feet leave imprints in the slippery mud, before the trail abruptly ends. 

Frowning, Kakashi looks away from where you disappeared. He hadn't seen you since watching you vanish after hopping off of the roof, and now that he finally spots you, you were gone the next second. You had never truly shown him, or anyone, sadness or any grief. You always hid your true emotions, and you were an expert at faking them. It frustrated him immensely to watch as your face doesn't change when even the most damaging news was delivered. You had perfected your farce with years of experience, having lost those who you had grown up beside twice. 

You had lost the important ones in your life three times. 

But Kakashi didn't know. 

He only knew that you had disappeared once from him, and once from the past. 
You were fine with keeping it that way, it would be better if no one knew. Only Inari knew, but he didn't know the true scope. 
You were perfectly fine.

Your problems are your own.

Just don't let it boil over, don't break down. 

If it does, the complications it would cause would be much worse than what they were originally.

You were fine.

You were gone, completely missing for hours. When you finally trekked exhastedly through your front door, covered in scratches, bruises, and burns, all you wanted to do was take a shower and sleep. Your clothes were a bit torn up, with the signature red cloud missing from your bicep. You hadn't worn that top, not wanting to damage it.

Your blurry eyes manage to see a fuming man in an orange mask, gradually growing larger as you both approached each other. 

"So, first I hear you've been kidnapped by Orochimaru, then the attack on Konoha happens, and you go completely off radar for over a day after. What were you doing?!" His hands shoot out, grabbing your aching arms harshly and making you wince. 

"Sorry..." You mumble at a pitiful volume, looking up at him.

His red eye scans over your injured body, finally landing on your sullen, fatigued eyes. Sighing heavily, he releases your arms. Taking a step back, he looks to the hall to his right.

"Go take a shower. I can patch you up after."

Nodding slowly, you take sluggish steps towards your room. 

Obito watches your retreating body, walking over to and falling back on the couch. He slips off his mask, turning it around in his grasp and staring at the hole while rubbing the smooth material with his thumb. He hears the bedroom door shut, summoning some medical supplies from his little pocket dimension. The various items fall onto the coffee table, tumbling recklessly over themselves.

Letting his arms fall into his lap, he stares at the ceiling blankly, thinking. 

Would you accept him if he showed his face? 

Would you reject him like he had rejected this world?

Would you feel the same as back when you were both mere brats, sitting on the Great Stone Faces and looking up at the stars, childish dreams and optimism practically spilling out of both of your mouths?