Chapter One:Pocky

December 31, 2018

There was only twelve hours left before it was the New Year. Min Yeonmi was spending her afternoon with her best friend. It was a beautiful, but cold day. The air smelled of baked goods from the many places surrounding them. Yeonmi smiled ear to ear, her best friend only shook his head.

"Yeonmi, what do you want to do now? We've done a lot today."

"We can go back to my house and watch dramas."Yeonmi suggested.

"Isn't your brother home today?"

"He has work, plus he'd go out to the club or bar after work; especially today."

"Do you want to buy snacks first?"

"Of course."

The two of them headed towards the convenience store. It wasn't a long walk, about three minutes. They entered the store, carefree and relaxed, both headed straight towards the snack section.

"They have pocky this week!"

"Jaemin, they have pocky all the time."

"They didn't have it last week."Jaemin whines.

"That's because you bought all of it."Yeonmi laughed.

"Whatever, what flavor do you want? I'll pay."

"I have my own money."

"Money that you steal from your brother."

"He never notices."

"Spend it on something you can keep for a while, now what flavor do you want?"Jaemin asked once more; being his usual stubborn self.

"Fine, I want matcha."Yeonmi only complied knowing that he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted.

It's usually how it was.

"What do you think Jisung and Chenle would want? I'm seeing them tonight when our families are all together. I should probably get some for Jeno and Renjun too then."

His statement flipped switches in Yeonmi's brain. Tonight, where she'd be spending New Years without anyone. She had almost forgotten that Jaemin had a family of his own to go to. They practically spent every holiday together, them and the others. It took Yeonmi a few seconds to come up with an answer.

"Ji likes strawberries, so get him that. Get Lele chocolate. Jeno cookies and cream. Renjun chocolate banana."She answered with ease.

It clicked for Jaemin as well when he saw her facial expression. He forgot to tell her.

"Oh, no, Yeonmi I'm so sorry; I forgot to tell you. I thought I texted you about tonight. I'll hang out with you all New Year's Day, I just can't tonight because of family. Everyone else will be there too because you know, family friends and parties. I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you, please forgive me."Jaemin put on the sad face that burned the souls of everyone around him.

"Nana, it's okay. You don't have to apologize. You spend more time with me on holidays than your family, I'll be fine I promise."Yeonmi reassured.

Jaemin engulfed her in a monster hug, making it almost impossible for her to breath. It was always his way of apologizing and she didn't mind. His hugs were the only thing in the world that could lift her spirits quickly. The two released their embrace and picked out their snacks. Together they went to the counter to pay; well for Jaemin to pay.

Yeonmi looked around for anything interesting. Her eyes landed on something familiar, something that made her smile. She walked over to the display and picked one out.