Chapter Two:Lies

Yeonmi stood in her room, still shaking with fear. It was now late at night, 9:30. Only a few hours ago her brother dropped drunk on the ground, and it was only now that the pain subsided.

Her hands shook as she dabbed ointment onto old and new bruises. It was painful dealing with it everyday, but since it happened everyday she was used to it all. The abuse never surprised her, but for some reason the pain felt new every time. She deserved some of it anyways, but that's a story for another day.

After attending to her wounds, Yeonmi made her way to her desk. She took the pack of cards and pocky out of her jacket pocket, and rummaged through her desk to get a black marker. She began writing messages on the back of the cards, during which she snacked on pocky.

Once she finished she slipped all the cards back into the case, placing the case back into her jacket. Her phone began buzzing, messages lighting up on her screen. Unlocking her phone she checked the messages.

Jaemin:Sorry I couldn't text earlier
Jaemin:Are you alright?
Jaemin:Did he hurt you again?
Jaemin:How bad is it?
Jaemin:Help me Jisung is using aegyo to get money

Yeonmi:It's okay Nana
Yes he did but I'm okay it's nothing much
Yeonmi:Tell everyone I said hi
Yeonmi:Avoid Jisung's eyes he'll use them to get to you

Jaemin:I will and please stay safe
Jaemin:Too late I already gave him some

Yeonmi:I will see you tomorrow

Jaemin:See you tomorrow <3

Yeonmi:<3

Yeonmi shut off her phone and stared at the ceiling. What now? There wasn't much she could do, and she wasn't tired enough to sleep.

She wasn't allowed to leave the house, her brother was passed out drunk, her friends were busy, and she had no one else to spend New Years with. However it took a minute for her to realize her current situation.

Her brother was the one that set the rule, but he was passed out; which means he wouldn't know if she went out unless she was gone till six in the morning. A smirk formed on her face before she grabbed her phone and jacket.

She tiptoed her way downstairs and snuck out the front door, carefully passing her brother who was passed out on the ground. There was one place she knew she could go, a place she could watch the fireworks, and a place where no one would be to bother her: the old, abandoned, park.

It was so run down people rarely went to it. The playground was rusty, grass barely grew, trees rarely bloomed any leaves. It was still opened, and no one bothered to help it thrive. The park was at one end of a lake, the other end held the better park; where everyone else would be to celebrate the new year.

Yeonmi walked her way to the park, there was no need to run; not like she was running to meet anyone. Once arriving at the park she went behind a tree, to face the lake, with her back to the playground. There was an hour left until the New Year. Only an hour until the fireworks explode into the air.

She spent the time playing games on her phone, enjoying the cold winter air. It wasn't till she heard multiple footsteps that she turned the volume of her phone off.

Who's here?

Panic was the first thing that came to Yeonmi's mind, thinking it could be her brother, but then again she was a public park. She peered behind the tree for a split second to see men dressed in all black, with oddly large duffle bags by their sides.

More footsteps were heard but she didn't do anything. It wasn't a big deal, but there was a pit in her stomach; something just didn't feel right. Her body froze, her instincts were screaming at her to not get caught.