03 - Strange Feelings

All the first years are now gathered in the hall. We were seated on the floor with our arms around each other's shoulders and our heads bowed down as we listen to the head hazer in front. The head hazer seems to be mad because according to him, we are too slow to follow his command. He kept on shouting and as a matter of fact, I can't even understand most of what he's saying. My heart is kind of racing but racing in a different race like that when I'm with Ai'Oon. Right now, I think it's due to nervousness? So this is how it feels to be hazed, huh?

"What are you doing?" the head hazer asked all of a sudden. I want to look up to see who he's talking to but I'm a little reluctant to do that in fear that I'll get his attention to myself.

"I said, what did you just do?" His voice is higher and harsher this time. My curiosity wins over my logic and I stared ahead. He's looking at someone in the third row.

"Uh, are you asking me?" That voice! It's Ai-Oon?

"Yes, I'm talking to you. Stand up and tell me your name and student ID number."

Ai'Oon stood up and rubbed on his nape. "Uh, I'm Arthit Rojnapat, Student ID 0206."

Ai'Oon's voice is small. Is he afraid of the head hazer?

"What did you do?" the head hazer asked again.

"Uh, I got bitten by a mosquito," he answered with a small voice and looked down.

"It's my campus' mosquito. You have no right to touch it," he shouted and made Ai'Oon shift on his feet while still looking down. What kind of logic is that? And can't he not shout at Ai'Oon? He's making him nervous.

"Arthit, 0206, I was in the middle of speaking and your friends are paying attention to what I'm saying. Don't you know what you should have done? Don't you know the meaning of manner?"

There is only silence and I can see that most of the first years are just looking down, scared of the head hazer.

"Let me teach you a lesson then. Go wai the big tree in front of the building for 3 hours. This will teach you the meaning of 'manner'. Go!"

What the hell? For 3 hours? Is he crazy?

I saw Ai'Oon nodding on the head hazer. Is he really going to do that? He started walking to the door and I feel like doing something though I'm not sure what but I know I need to do something.

"Isn't that a stupid punishment?"

Is that Prem?

"You're teaching us about respect and you think by punishing Arthit like this because of an equally stupid reason will gain you respect? We went here to study and not to become the slaves you can order around just because you think so high of yourselves."

I can see Ai'Oon trying to stop Prem who by now is already on his feet and looking intimidating. Woah! Prem is really scary. And what he did is scary too.

"You are the freshmen and we are your seniors. You should respect us and should follow what we order you to do."

"That's bullshit!"

"What did you just say?!"

"Prem! What are you doing?!" Ai'Oon is holding Prem from trying to tackle the head hazer. Both are equally looking ready to attack each other. Ai'Oon is talking to Prem but I can't hear what he's saying. After a while, Prem looked at Ai'Oon before sighing dejectedly.

"I'm sorry for what my friend has done. He won't do it again."

The head hazer is quiet for a while; contemplating, before he finally spoke. "Every action has consequences. Because of what Prem did, instead of 3 hours, you're going to wai that tree for 6 hours."