09 - A Little Distance

My stupor was broken when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Prem raises his eyebrow at me and shook his head. He has one corner of his lips curved upwards on what seems to be a smile.

"Stop worrying too much. Arthit is a grownup man. You're starting to be like Knot."

"Knot?" I questioned confusedly.

"Yeah. He's like a mother hen. He worries a lot about us, especially to Arthit."

"Why will he worry about Arthit?" I asked. I really want to know if Knot knows something that I don't.

"Hmm..." Prem rubs on his chin and thinks. "You see, all five of us have been friends since first year high school. We are all different in many ways but we clicked just the same. We've seen each other go through ups and downs and all of us have been there ready to help."

"Here's your order." The woman gave us our order and I immediately took the cup of pink milk from her, thanking her in the process before we made our way back to the room that Arthit and I share.

"What I'm trying to say Kongpob is that even though we've been friends together for a long time now, there is something about Arthit that we just don't get. Like there is a wall around him and he doesn't let anyone pass through that wall. And because of that, Knot took it upon himself to always see to it that Arthit is doing okay, like a mother hen to her chick," he finishes with a laugh.

I smile as a response but what Prem shares to me linger in my mind until we reach our room. What greeted us when we open the door is Knot's loud voice chastising Bright and Toota for being so loud when Arthit is trying to rest. Yes, very much of a mother hen just like how Prem says.

My eyes immediately travel to his lying form on the bed. His skin is paler than the usual but he has a small smile adorning his face as he watches his friends banter.

Last night had been rough. I almost fought with the head hazer if Arthit and the others hadn't stopped me. I was on the verge of really losing my cool because P'Tum didn't even want to hear me out. Arthit is already not feeling well and he told him to run 54 laps around the field. Who in their right mind will make someone do that insane idea? Well actually the head hazer is. And you know who else is? Arthit too because he agreed on the punishment and actually did it despite the rain that starts in the middle of his running. He wouldn't even listen to me when I told him to stop. And so now we have him sick on the bed.

"You guys are back." Knot gestured us to bring what we bought. "You hungry, Arthit?" he asked.

"Yeah but I think I'll eat later. I just want my pink milk now," he answers while looking at me. I avoided his eyes and gave the pink milk to Knot who is watching my move silently as he passes the pink milk to the one on bed.

"I'll go out first. Our class is about to start anyway." I immediately walk out of the room, not stopping despite hearing Arthit calling my name. I've been giving him the cold shoulder ever since he refused to listen to me last night. I told him not to do the stupid punishment but he still went with it saying that the head hazer is right that he's wrong for not telling our seniors himself and so he needs to do the punishment. At the back of my head, I know they are too but I refuse to believe that the punishment is right. It's too cruel for me. Not to mention that my feelings are currently in turmoil right now. I have so many thoughts in my mind and all of them are about the person that won't stop giving me headaches.

I heaved a sigh and continued walking towards our first class for the day.

It's a lunch time and I find myself in our usual spot with the usual people minus two; Arthit and Knot, with the latter watching over the former.