XXII

Chapter 22: I'm Not Scared

♚♥♞

After that Sunday, Prince would not stop calling her "cent". He insisted that god has "enlightened" him with the nickname and that he would never stop calling her that. She had to resort to swerving to the other hallway when she saw him so that she would avoid the stupid dork calling "Cent!" like his well-being revolved around it.

She didn't want any girls to hear him belting out that nickname like they were married, so she ended up in the most strangest of hiding places.

One of the places she ran into was this secluded area behind the school, to escape Kade during lunch. Min had told her friends beforehand to lead Kade elsewhere or distract him. They did, reluctantly.

This place was more special than the rest of the hiding spots she ducked into.

"Min?" Min flinched upon hearing her name, instantly recognizing the owner of the voice.

She heard his footsteps on the gravel and turned slowly, almost denying that it was him. She usually never saw him until English, and here he was, fingering an unraveled part of the bandages on his arm. He looked like he hadn't slept for days, and she realized there was a hungry flame in his green eyes.

She took a step back, her eyes flicking over to his arm and then back to his face.

He quickly rolled his sleeve down, a hard expression forming on his face. He made no more steps closer to her and transferred his cold look down to the ground.

She forced a laugh, taking a few steps towards him. "Did you fall off a tree or something?"

Does he cut himself?

A look of surprise crossed his features and he looked at her hesitatingly. He breathed out a bit. "Something like that." He admitted, looking almost forlorn for a moment before focusing back on her.

Is that why he misses class?

She stepped closer to him, her body doing whatever it wanted as her mind reeled with thoughts. Her hand touched his hair before she knew it, and she was patting his head.

His eyes widened, and he instinctively lowered his body stance and stepped back, like he was getting ready to flee... or attack her.

Her hand was hovering over his head when she snapped back to reality and she snatched it back quickly, feeling her cheeks heat up. "Sorry." She mumbled quickly.

She suddenly thought how different Kade would have reacted. He would use her action to close more distance between them, and he would have lowered his head into her so she could pet him more. He would have smirked at her and made some dumb comment like "can't wait to be touching me already?"

Carl had his face scrunched up by the time she was focusing back on him, and she noted that it looked like he was confused.

"I-uh," Min stuttered. "Do that with my guy friends a lot. It's a habit, sorry if I-"

He had stepped closer to her, so much that she felt his breath on her bangs. She looked up at him, stunned.

He lowered his eye level to hers, and she stared, mesmerized, at his collarbone peeking through the cover of his hoodie.

"Are you not scared of me?" Her eyes immediately darted onto his lips, and she felt herself stop breathing.

She could kiss him, right now. And then run and get away with it.

"I-I-" She stammered.

"Cent." She heard someone's swift footsteps behind her, the crunching of the gravel. Then a hand clasped around her wrist and pulled her back so that she bumped into him. Carl's gaze was torn from hers and he looked up at the newcomer.

Kade clenched his jaw, glowering at the Wolf.

Carl steeled his gaze and swiftly turned on his heel, walking off the other way, glancing back once, his eyes meeting with Min.

Like a silent agreement. Before Min could let her gaze linger, Kade spun her around, an annoyed look on his face.

"How did you find me?" She asked quickly.

"Turns out buying food for girls makes them spill the beans." He answered just as quickly, scanning her face. "And what was that?"

"Nothing." She muttered, averting her gaze. I'm going to murder my two friends.

"You kept avoiding me today." He complained out of the blue, and she looked up to see an expression that rivaled the look of a jealous puppy. "Or is it because you wanted to go see your 'mysterious stranger'?"

"You kept belting out that nickname so I had to flee before your fangirls caught wind." Min sighed, and then looked down at her hand, which was enclosed by Kade's. She promptly ripped it out and then focused back on his face. "By the way, your cologne is seriously unique, like anyone can tell it's yours."

"You are the first one to say so." He responded, a look of surprise on his face.

Min paused, a look of surprise on her face as she stared up at him. She always picked up on his scent when walking past him and past girls who he had been with. It was always distinct, but she never considered that it was only distinct to her. She thought anybody could smell him, and now she thought back on the fact that she was the one who sensed him first and left before he could come closer.

Kade's hand awoke her from her thoughts when he patted her cheek. "Hello? Still in there?"

Min made a move to bite his hand which prompted him to move it away. She glared at him. "And why are you trying so hard to look for me?"

"Because you keep running. You run, I chase, you should get that by now." He smirked down at her.

"Stalker." She mumbled under her breath.

He pretended to not hear her. "It seems futile to think that he doesn't like you, since he was so close to you just moments before."

Min flushed red. "That was-that was..."

"Unless he doesn't actually like you and just wants to eat you up!" Kade grabbed Min's shoulders like he was pouncing on her. "Like this!"

Kade opened his mouth and brought it a few inches from her neck before he stopped. His eyes lowered, and he stared at the skin he was going to bite.

Who is the real one trying to eat her up?

She shoved his head away, a late reaction, laughing. "Stop that, don't want any of your fans getting the wrong idea."

"Oh, they know I do this often." He muttered under his breath.

Min turned away from him, laughing, and hoped that he never noticed the way her hands were shaking.

♚♥♞