LI

Chapter 51: Sick Joke

♚♥♞

When they entered the English room, the tables were seated in groups. The students that had entered earlier were mulling around the corners of the room in confusion.

"I'm trying out groups." The English teacher walked in, holding a stack of papers. "Your assigned seats are on the board."

To Min's surprise, she was seated in a table towards the back with Carl and Kade.

It wasn't long before most of the girls in the room had started glaring at her.

"What the fuck." Min whispered to herself as she pulled her bag closer.

Kade was already seated from the start, and Carl was just sitting down. The two guys stared at each other, recognition flashing in their eyes.

If this is a sick joke. Min thought. Please get to the punchline already and end it.

"This will be your seats for the rest of the year!" The teacher chirped.

Min paled.

Chloe turned purple from anger across the room.

"Why don't I give you some time to talk, with a purpose, of course. Answer this question in your groups!" The teacher pointed at the board and then leaned against her desk looking proud of herself.

The two guys both knew each other, due to their connection, which was Min. But they never really introduced themselves. Carl knew Kade as "prince" and Kade knew Carl as "Wolfie".

Either way, it would be awkward for either of the guys to say anything so they both towards Min with pleading looks in their eyes.

Min instantly saw their predicament and couldn't help but start laughing.

"I'm Min." She began, amused.

"We know that." Kade quipped, before realizing. "...I'm Kade."

"Carl." Carl mumbled.

"Nice to meet you all." Min joked.

"The question." Kade deadpanned.

"Why, aren't you a bit sour today." Min continued. "Aren't I right, Carl?"

Carl looked at her in confusion.

She cleared her throat before turning to the board and reading the question aloud.

Kade frowned at her. He had let her go earlier, to seem cool, desperate to save his image. He had barely gotten a hold of his ego and now he was forced to deal with them both seated before him. Carl looked indifferent to the whole thing but seemed awkward towards Kade. Kade's mind instantly flashed back to when he had said "handsome face."

Prince winced.

"So, what do you guys think?" Min asked when she turned around. "How do we 'utilize audience in our essays'—"

Kade was hiding his face in his hands and Carl had already started staring off into the distance.

"How the heck—" Min sighed. "Why are you two acting like exes?"

"Cent." Kade groaned through his hands.

"Look at you two!" Min complained. "Completely distracted."

"He likes you." Carl blurted.

"No!" Kade hissed.

Carl shot a glance at the embarrassed guy beside him and then looked at Min, his expression screaming "see?"

Min's jaw had dropped, and she was at a loss for words.

"Wolfie—" Kade threatened, finally putting his hands down. "Can you not?"

Carl narrowed his eyes, meeting Kade's eyes challengingly. "It's obvious, Prince."

"I'm not the one who flirts in class with her every day." Prince snapped back. "Mr. Big-Bad-Wolf."

"Can we please not!?" Min squeaked. "Like, I am right here! Can we please discuss the question!?"

The two guys stopped bickering as Min rambled off about using audience in essays and writing with a certain type of audience in mind. Carl made some input to try to calm her down while Kade sulked and glared at the wall.

---

"It's a disaster." Min whined, leaning her head against Kristy's shoulder on their train ride home.

Kristy patted Min's knee reassuringly. "Buy one get one free."

Min glared up at Kristy.

"Maybe you can fix both boy problems at once!" Kristy joked. "A group therapy session! They can learn off of each other."

Min groaned and didn't say anything else.

---

Carl was sitting on his sofa, staring at his hand. He opened it and closed it.

Declan popped up from behind him. "Why are you doing that?"

Carl flinched, quickly turning around and seeing his stepbrother. He sighed and stood up, walking towards the kitchen.

"Is Bonnie alright?" Declan teased. "You haven't missed a day of school."

Instead of a glare or a scowl, Carl looked lost. "What does holding hands mean?"

Declan stared at Carl's back in shock. "Why are you asking that?"

"Clan—" Carl turned around. "She seems to like holding my hand."

"Maybe she seems to like more than holding your hand." Declan raised his eyebrows, raising his palms and shrugging.

"What?"

Declan facepalmed, realizing how much denser Carl actually was.

"She, maybe—likes... you."

"Likes... me?"

Declan raised his eyebrows, his eyes saying, "really?"

In Declan's complete surprise, Carl's face tinted red.

"Whoa—" Clan exclaimed. "Wait, did you just—did you just blush?"

Carl turned back around and started speed walking to the kitchen. Declan chased after him, laughing in bewildered amusement.

"Oh, mother of our Lord and savior—" Declan bursts out into hysterical laughter. "You are one amazing fool."

Carl made no response.

"That is hecking adorable, I need a picture!" Declan scrambled for his phone. "Wow, the day Carl shows a reaction to a girl! Say cheese!"

Later on, in the day, Declan found his phone in pieces. He screamed like a little bitch.

♚♥♞