XLIV

Chapter 44: At Your Own Pace

  ♚♥♞  

They had both gotten used to it, Carl walking Min home. They walked slowly, Min humming a tune as she walked slightly ahead, her earphone on the opposite side of Carl. It was a moment of peace for both of them. Though, Min guessed that he may not have told her everything.

"Don't say it all," he had told me. "Not all at once." Min was content with what she was given. She knew how hard it was to bring up the past, given that she also has things she doesn't want to say.

Min stopped. "I'm always crying in front of you." She blurted out of the blue.

He made a noise of acknowledgment and came to a stop next to her.

She looked at him, eyes bright. "Thank you."

If he was surprised, he didn't show it. He nodded, ducked his head. "Your welcome."

She laughed softly, her head facing the ground, her hair falling forward.

"Your family." She began, softly. "You love them."

He looked up. "I... do?"

She laughed again. "You really do, Carl. You love them very much. Your stepbrother, your stepdad. Your mom."

"You may not have forgiven, but you came to love again and again."

He looked at her, stunned.

"Forgive at your own pace," She continued. "Forgive, but do not forget."

For a moment, he saw his mother's same gentleness in her, and his eyes softened. "I will." He responded, voice quiet.

"Can I..." He awkwardly blurted. "Hug you?"

She blushed in surprise but held out her arms anyway. He stepped towards her tentatively. And finally, they embraced each other. Carl had curled down, his head resting on her shoulder. She had her hands resting on his back. Her head was spinning. Was it love?

"I..." His voice was barely a whisper. "Miss her a lot."

"Your mom?"

He was quiet for a moment.

"You are the first one I've held since I was a child." Carl muttered. "And the first one to tell me to forgive."

Min unintentionally sniffed him. God, he smells so homely. Oh my god, I am a pervert.

"Yeah?" She squeaked breathlessly, begging the heavens that he had not caught her.

"I'm glad it's you." He mutters.

She nodded slightly, trying not to blush. My heart is going to implode. Detonate. Boom, boom Sksh. Sksh. Set me on fire, he is so soft. How many times has this hoodie been in the washing machine? I want to steal it. I want to steal him. Oh my god, will I see him shirtless?!

"Min?"

---

Min rolled over in her bed. Texting Kristy and Kade at the same time. She was telling Kade about her little adventure with Carl and also telling Kristy bit by bit. She liked teasing Kristy when it came to juicy news.

You should ask Kade who his crush is

Min raised an eyebrow. It's none of my business tho

Just sneak it in gurl

Kade was texting her about birds now, since she sent him videos of birds trying to get a mate with a caption of "try this instead".

I am not going to clean a stick and do a little dance, you are ridiculous.

Who knows, it might work on Vivi

He stopped responding. Min raised her eyebrows, screenshotting that moment to Kristy.

Yo, he literally stopped replying to me

the wa y he textin you is so cuteee ;0 ;) get those guys min min <3 </3

krusty I swear to god he likes vivi

He finally responded. Is this about that time in the hallway, where you told her to kick me between my legs if I do anything?

WH Y do YOU ONLy REMEMBer that

Because that's when you showed up. Kade thought to himself, frowning. Does she think that I like Vivi or something? His frown grew deeper. Hearing her talk about Carl like a lovesick puppy was already getting under his skin, now she thinks that he likes Vivi? Fine, I'll amuse her dense pea-brain.

Well, you embarrassed me. In front of a pretty girl.

Min instantly screenshotted that text to Kristy and sent "PRROOOOOF!" after it.

oh my gOD do yoU LIKE HER??? IS THAT YOUR SECRET CRUSH?

Maybe.

I KNEW ITTT

Kristy was freaking out about the picture she had sent.

Gurl I thought he liked you!!! Min received the message and made a face.

Kade had responded at the time she finished reading. Do you, now?

Prince would never like me.

"Oh—shit!" Min whispered, sitting up abruptly. She had sent that message to Kade by accident. "Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit."

She was too scared to explain that message to him. What was she going to say, "oops, wrong person?" That doesn't make it any better. She screenshotted her disaster to Kristy, but Kristy stopped responding.

Are you texting other people about me? Kade finally responded. Damn, am I always on your mind?

THAT'S THAT'S ANOTHER PRINCE

Is it now, Ms. Only-Calls-Kade-Prince? Cheating on me?

Kade was actually blushing his head off in his room. He had a hunch that she was texting Kristy. Kristy, the person who knew his intense crush on Min. Although he was disappointed that Min was dense as hell, he was also relieved that she hadn't figured it out yet. If she knew, it would be extremely humiliating. She would either be super awkward or tease him to no end.

He had also been so caught off guard by the sudden message, his brain couldn't form a coherent text back for 5 minutes. He chugged down a bottle of water, pacing around the room.

His phone vibrated.

YO FLIRTING WAYS DON't WoRK ON ME!!

  ♚♥♞