XXXIX

Chapter 39: Friday

♚♥♞

Friday. Friday. Carl faced her with a look of guilt in front of English class. He promised to find her and talk more after school. Class passed with her hands shaking.

She thought she would be furious. She was more relieved than mad. He was alive. That was all that mattered. Seeing him again sent a wave of relief and happiness through her body. He left without a word at the end of class, leaving her behind. She was a bit disappointed. But, he would find her after class, wouldn't he?

He was going to, indeed. But before he could go after her, he bumped into someone.

And their eyes met.

Kade stared back at him, recognition flashing across his face. "In a hurry, huh."

Carl stiffened, surprised that he was talking to him. Carl knew who he was, having seen him a lot near Min. There was a jealous glare showing on Kade's face. Competition.

Carl stepped back, not really sure why Kade was looking so hostile.

Prince was eying him up and down. Of course. Of course, Cent likes an idiot like him. Although, if he is looking for Cent, he's going the wrong way. Prince cleared his throat. "Going to see Ce—Min?"

Prince suddenly blushed despite himself, even saying her name would drive him mad. Not good.

Carl stared blankly as the boy in front of him started blushing madly. Then, something clicked in his head.

"When a boy likes a girl—" Declan was explaining one of his shallow crushes one day.

"You like her." Carl observed aloud.

Kade sputtered and gritted his teeth. "No—I don't. If you're looking for her, you're walking the wrong way, idiot."

Carl glanced at him in surprise.

"She's that way." Kade pointed towards the way he was walking. "And she must be dying to see your handsome face."

Carl took a few steps back, taking a defensive stance.

Kade made a face at Carl before realization hit him. He glowered, embarrassed. Both of them make me look like the fool. "I don't swing that way. She's waiting impatiently, go."

Making shooing motions with one hand, Kade watched as Carl comply and turn around. Prince followed the dunce at a distance, seeing Min's expression light up when she saw Carl and then contort in confusion when she saw Kade follow promptly, his face looking flushed.

She looked back and forth between them two and then finger gunned Kade questioningly.

"Shoot me dead already." Kade muttered under his breath before yelling, "I don't swing that way!"

Min flinched, watching as Kade stomped off.

"What is wrong with him?" Min mumbled before looking into Carl's, once again, guilt-filled eyes.

"The project—" Carl blurted. "I'm sorry."

She had handed in the other day, since it was due. Her eyes softened.

"It's fine. I cried that day and didn't do any work."

"I promised..."

"And you kept it." Min smiled. "I know you had a reason. For being absent."

Carl was at a loss for words. He hung his head, a sigh escaping his lips. Then, he looked up, a determination in his eyes, something Min has never seen before.

"I'll make it up to you."

---

He took her out to get donuts. Min was lifting the donuts to her mouth in a daze. Of all the things she could imagine, this wasn't even one of them. Min was thinking back to when Prince said about them two competing to see who was more incompetent in regard to romance. This takes the cake.

Unless—This is a date!?

Min's mindset instantly changed. She was the happiest girl alive. She was going to be skipping back home. Carl took them to the park where they met the second time and Min was giddy beyond belief. She was going to show him her cutest side and they would kiss, and he would hug her, and she would brag to Prince about being engaged to the sweetest man aliv—

Carl's mouth was open, like he was going to say something.

A sharp pain slammed the side of her head, and instantly her vision blurred.

Her unfinished donut fell out of her hand as she went down.

♚♥♞