XXXI

Chapter 31: Invitation

♚♥♞

Monday, another day of school. Kristy had a look of worry on her face when she first saw Min. Min looked like a wreck.

"What happened yesterday with Carl?" She whispered, her voice urgent.

"It's not—" Min protested. "It's not his fault."

A look of doubt clouded over Kristy's expression, but she didn't think she should pry due to the state that Min was in. Min rubbed her eyes and continued walking sluggishly. For the rest of class Min just stared ahead at the board, not bothering to really socialize. Usually, she wasn't an extrovert, but now she acted like she was seriously anti-social.

Finally, lunch rolled around and Min was sandwiched between her two friends. They were talking about light subjects, both trying to get Min to smile.

"You get to invite one girl, right?" They slowed when they heard Chloe's voice in the hall in front of them. "Your mom said one girl gets to accompany you to the party! It's me, right!?"

They heard Kade's mumbled answer and the two friends both leaned forward to listen closer.

"Guys." Min spoke up. "Let's just go to lunch."

The two looked back at her in surprise, then concern. Min had a look of resignation. They both knew that Min and Kade hadn't been talking for a week now, but didn't know why they stopped talking. Kade didn't say anything to Kristy about it and would avoid the subject skillfully whenever Kristy brought it up. The two just left it at "they're fighting" and tried not to talk about him in front of Min.

Min walked ahead, and her friends ran to shield her in any way possible. They were heading straight to the hall where Kade and Chloe were.

Min kept her eyes on the floor, still aware that she had to pretend that she didn't know him. Plus, she looked like a psychopath, and she didn't want Chloe to see the sight of her mental state and start assuming things. She was almost past them when a hand grabbed her wrist and she was pulled back from the sandwich of her friends.

"I want you to go with me." She heard him whisper softly in her ear.

---

Yesterday, his mother had called him to her office to discuss the gathering she was holding before she would leave the house. She was going to invite a lot of influential guests and make some connections through the disguise of a party. He was to act like the good son he is.

"Since you've been tolerable this whole week." She wasn't even facing towards him, she was looking through papers. It was better that way, he didn't have to look at her piercing eyes that his sister had inherited. "In the party, I'll let you bring one 'friend' to accompany you."

Kade remained still, trying to hide the excitement bubbling underneath.

"Yes, mother." He tipped his head, eyes on the floor.

And today, he was going to invite the only person he thought of that would make that gathering less of a mental hell pit for him.

She stiffened and he knew instantly that she heard him clearly.

"Meet me behind the school." He let go of her hand and let her walk off with her friends. She didn't look back at him as she continued walking, her head held high.

He smiled softly to himself.

This charade will be over soon.

---

She did meet him behind the school, because Kristy had a fire blazing in her eyes when she found out what Kade had whispered. "You better go." She threatened. "Or else."

She had to not get lunch to see him, so she brought a bag of chips instead. She stopped munching when she saw him. Déjà vu, she mused to herself. Instead of that fake smile, he was now smirking at her.

"You're late." He teased.

"If I didn't have this, I would eat you instead." She deadpanned back.

He laughed, and she noticed his shoulders relaxing. She smiled a bit too. It has been a while since I heard his arrogant laughing. At least he didn't say some dumb suggestive comeback.

"What's the hoodoo about this party thing?" She asked softly.

"Mother planned a gathering and since I've been a good boy I get to bring someone to party with me."

"And... that's me?"

"Yup." She saw him close his eyes and smile.

"Do I have to dress all fancy-shmancy and get judged thoroughly by snobby rich people?"

"Yeah."

"So, I have to get judged by 70 other Kade's?"

He finally opened his eyes to give her a flat stare. "I'm the best of their kind."

She laughed. "You aren't part of their kind, Prince."

His eyes widened for a brief moment before he looked away from her, feeling his face growing hot.

"When is this event?" She asked, not noticing that he was flustered.

"Sa-Saturday."

"O-Oh really?" She mocked. "Is there a color scheme or something?"

"I'll pick you up and get you all dressed. Don't worry about it." He mumbled.

"Oh man, this once in a lifetime experience, how could I ever miss it?"

Oh shit. He stiffened. I didn't ask if she would go with me for sure!

She stifled a laugh.

"I'll go, Prince. Relax."

♚♥♞