Changes- Part 3: Sam

I do not own Supergirl or any of it's characters, although I wish I did, bc if I did, I would make everyone canonically gay and in love and everyone would be happy thank you for coming to my TED talk.

You yawned as sunlight streamed through the open curtains and across your room, splaying over the duvet and your fiance's bare back. Sam lay on her stomach beside you, her head resting on her pillow, hair a mess, one arm tucked underneath the pillow and one sprawled over her.

You smiled as you sat up, looking down at her and brushing a strand of mahogany locks behind her ear. She stirred, turning onto her side to face you, her eyes screwed shut to block out the light.

"I'm on morning shift; you sleep." You said, leaning over and kissing her on the forehead. She grumbled her thanks, and you swung your legs out of bed, pursing your lips are the pressure on your abdomen, but shaking off as you did every morning. You grabbed one of Sam's shirts and tossed it on, as well as a pair of pajama shorts. On your way out of the room, you put a large red 'x' on the day's date in the calendar, one more in the long row, counting down the days until 'I Do.'

You made your way out into the kitchen, which was attached to the living room. You found Ruby at the island, eating a bowl of soggy wheaties. You scowled, walking over and taking the bowl, and promptly dumping the contents into the sink.

"Hey.." Ruby frowned, looking over at you. You scowled right back. "No Arias I know is going to eat soggy wheaties on a Saturday morning."

You gathered a few ingredients from around the kitchen, Ruby watching with a mix of trepidation and anticipation. "My grandfather would slap me sideways if he could see me, letting you eat that sorry excuse for a breakfast." You poured some flour into a mixing bowl, along with a few other things. "Saturdays mornings are for television and flapjacks- I'll make a New Englander of you yet." You winked, cracking an egg with one hand over the rim of the bowl.

Ruby watched you with facination, keeping the conversation going. "That's right- you're from like Boston or something, right?"

"Maine, actually." You corrected her, whisking. "I went to college out of state though, and decided I liked it better there." You explained. "But there's a lot I miss about it. A lot of good 'ol traditions I try to keep up. Next time we go for a trip, I was actually thinking Bar Harbor. We could rent a little cabin.. go shopping at the boardwalk.. collect seaglass.." you listed some of your favorite things from when you visited there.

Ruby was nodding along, looking excited. "That sounds really cool, Y/N!" She smiled. "Can we go pick blueberries, too? I read somewhere that blueberries are like, everywhere there."

You nodded. "You've got your sources straight, that's for sure. Blueberries grow all over the place there. We'll definitely fo picking sometime." You chuckled. "We'll have to keep an eye on your mom though, you know how she gets with them." You rolled your eyes, pouring the batter into a pan on the stove.

"Yeah." Ruby chuckled, hopping out of her seat and walking over beside you.

"You want to help me get the bacon started?" You asked. She beamed. "I what to help?"

"Well duh." You rolled your eyes. "Rubes, when have I ever said you couldn't help me in the kitchen?"

"Fair enough." She giggled, grabbing the package of bacon out of the fridge and putting it on the board. You opened the package, showing her how to lay out the tinfoil on the baking sheet, and how to place the bacon, covering the top in another sheet and putting it in the oven. You raised your hand for a fist bump, Ruby cashing it in right away.

"I like cooking with you." Ruby smiled, looking at you as she grabbed some plates from the cupboard. "And.. I'm glad you're going to be a part of the family. It gets lonely sometimes with just Mom and I.." she said with a little frown, and you put a hand on her shoulder.

She brightened up a bit. "But every since you showed up, everything's been great! You make Mom really happy, and.. you make me happy too." She turned and hugged you around the waist. "I'm glad I've got another cool mom.."

You bit your lip, feeling like you might start crying. You returned the hug, smiling and you gave her a little squeeze, pulling back and wiping your eyes. "I hope you like salty flapjacks, kid." You sniffled, and she giggled.

"I like 'em any way you make them, Mom."