7.

[CATALINA'S P.O.V]

As agreed, August and I drive all night. We drive until we're in a small town we don't even know the name of. That probably isn't the safest thing to do but I wasn't worried and neither was he. After raiding a gas station and buying enough food for a family road trip, all that was left was finding somewhere to spend the night.

The drive wasn't all that bad, but it hadn't been all that good either.

"So, are we going to drive around and look for a hotel or are you going to take the backseat?" August finally speaks up after probably thirty minutes of silence. We'd talk, and then we'd ignore each other some more. I can't explain how that's working.

I look at the backseat and I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be. "We should find a hotel. I'll search one up."

After looking up a close by Sheraton, I let my phone read out the directions out loud. Everything in this town is so far apart, nothing how I was used to.

"So..." I trail off, trying to spark a conversation, but his phone rings.

He glances down at the name that pops up on his screen. Once again, it reads 'Melody' and he ignores the ringtone like he did the other billion times.

"Who is that?" I question, it won't kill him to answer and the silence we share is odd for the first time.

"A friend." he shrugs.

"What kind of friend?"

"Does it matter?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Is she your girlfriend?" I ignore his hostility and continue to pester.

"Didn't know you cared." he finds his own way to make me drop the conversation.

"Well I don't, but it's something to talk about."

Which is the only reason I asked, I couldn't even furnish the thought of anything else. I was just beginning to get bored of not saying anything for too long. I find that unusual considering the fact that I'm used to solitude and if anything, I'm used to not talking to August at all. However, I've never been alone with him for this long.

This has partially made me feel like I read him the wrong way. I'm not completely wrong about everything though, just the fact that like everyone else, he has a reason to act the way he does. Just like he doesn't know all of my story, I don't know all this.

"Talk about yourself." He responds, peeking over the steering wheel.

I could talk about myself, but what would I say? Nothing he cares about, nothing interesting either. I could tell him about my lack of communication with my adoptive mother; or really my lack of communication with anyone for that matter. I could tell him why I don't talk to anyone or I could bring up why I'm so afraid of love. I could tell him about how I have no remote idea who my real mother is and how I act like it's okay when it's really not.

None of that stuff is exactly friendly table talk- or car talk if you want to be technical.

"Well?" He urges for me to proceed as if he really gave a damn.

"Didn't think you cared." I use his comeback from earlier for the same reason he did; I don't want to talk about it.

"Well I do."

Instead of wallowing out like I did and getting defensive about the fact that I don't care, August makes it a lot harder for me to get out of saying anything about me.

"Well....I have nothing to say."

"For once in your life." He murmurs and for the first time I can't tell if he's joking or not. Usually he's not.