20.

This is edit ugly, but oh well

CATALINA

'The choice is yours' he said. As if I had much of a choice in this anyway.

Do I kill one person or be the reason that two die? That's a decision that's impossible to make. It isn't like he's asking me to kill August myself, but I'd be just as guilty as he is if I side with him and help it unfold smoothly.

With the kind of power he's given me, he's already made my 'choice' for me. Either way August is going to die, except one of those ways will be with an innocent woman right with him. Do I call the cops so they can help me? Do I tell August so he can help himself? or maybe him and I can stall long enough until I find my real mom and get her to safety.

"Why me?" I ask out loud, playing with the picture in my hand.

"It's nothing personal, it's just really convenient. It's too good of an opportunity to miss out on." Christian shrugs like it's no big deal.

"Why didn't you just do all of this on your own and take me with him if I got in the way?"

I would've preferred to not know about the possible death of a friend of mines. I wish he didn't tell me any of this. Even though he's already made it clear that the demise of August is coming, if he hadn't told me I wouldn't have to live with knowing that I could've done something to stop it.

"because, I don't really like you but you're still my sister and also the closest thing I have to family. Plus, I had to take extreme precautions to make sure no one else hurts you so if I did it that would just be defeating the purpose now wouldn't it?"

"So you're telling me everyone who can bring any sense of joy into my life is in danger and even though I have to worry about their death, I don't have to worry about my own."

That must be his wicked idea of a nice thing. He clearly needs mental health, but I should be questioning why he's doing all of this more than his sanity.

"See! I'm not so bad. I might even let you keep the woman who raised you if you decide to disagree with me. I have it all mapped out."

"So you have visions about the next murder you commit. Did no one send you to the psych ward in the Orphanage?" I can't help but wonder.

"I thought about it and then I thought... what harm would it do you if the woman you've never met was to die? So, maybe we'll get you two a proper introduction, you can ask some questions, and right before I kill her you can even tell her you love her."

I shake my head and push myself away from the table so I can stand up. I will not allow someone I've never met before walk into my life, order my around, and subsequently ruin me all together. He's trying to hold some strange control over my life by threatening my loved ones.

August's fight is not mines, but for some reason Christian has found away to tie it to me. I highly doubt it's his excuse to get to know me.

"You don't own me." I glare at him. "I'll kill you myself if I have to."

He stares at me and starts to laugh. Christian reaches behind his back and when he reveals his hand, he has a metal gun sitting in the palm of his hand holding it out to me.

"Do it."

I wasn't expecting that to be his reaction to my idle threat. I hesitate and I can't decide if I want to keep my eyes on him or the gun resting in his hands. I guess I take too long to make a decision because he puts it back in it's hiding spot; safely tucked on the right side of his waist.