28.

This chapter will have flashbacks, they'll be italicized

"No!" I shout, running in front of August, becoming his own human shield.

If Christian truly meant what he said, he won't hurt me. There's only one way to find out, and it's by doing exactly what I've been so afraid to do; calling his bluff.

"Move out of the way!" Christian demands, his voice booming through the living room.

"You tricked me!" I realize, seeing that it was never his true intentions to get to know his enemy, but to set me up into setting August up for him.

Well played.

"You didn't really give me a choice. I tried to make this as easy as possible for you, but you don't listen." Christian glares at me, not sure if he wants to take his eyes off of August for a second, but he does.

My stomach turns upside down, I can feel my legs shaking due to my nerves. It feels like I'm going to throw up any minute now, but I try to remain valiant.

"No, I can't let you do this. Please." I beg Christian, but his expression only hardens. There is no sign of sympathy, nothing. Just pure spite and hatred.

How could one be so cruel? Have so much ambition to cause harm to a person they don't even know.

My heart beat has never been so fast. I can count every beat as it booms through my shirt while I try to stare him down from across the room. As if my looks could kill him and make this all go away. There is a nauseous pain in my stomach that comes along with every thump. I feel lightheaded and helpless while I plaster my small frame onto August.

I know that I'm not much of a shield, and if Christian wanted to hurt August he could aim right past me. He doesn't take that risk though, and I think that says enough.

"I'm trying to protect you!" He shouts in frustration, finger gripping the trigger even tighter as he flails the gun around, making me nervous.

"From what!?" my voice sounds unrecognizable mixed with all the fear and anxiety.

"Me." August says from behind me. Before I have the chance to react, he pulls me closer to him by wrist with too much force for me to feel safe on this side of the room.

"I-"

I'm cut off by my mother who suddenly appears from the back of the side hall, pointing a gun in August's direction as well as she cautiously moves towards me. "Catalina.... keep still." She demands, not taking her eyes off of him.

"What are you talking about?" I feel odd, so struck with surprise and shock that I can barely manage a sentence.

I don't even know what this mess around me is. Where did she come from? Did Christian poison her mind and make her feel like August is somehow a threat to me.

"Poor Catalina." August leans close to me so that he's mumbling in my ear, with his breath fanning against my neck. "So afraid of me becoming a monster. What is it you were so worried about? Me becoming a murderer? Hating you for the rest of my life?"

"No." I shake my head in denial. "You can't be- he's the crazy one." I point at Christian, speaking like I'm trying to convince myself that all of this is fake. "He's the one I should be worried about... who wants to hurt me."

"I know how bad you want that to be true." He antagonizes me with his hand still tightly gripped around my wrist. "but it's not. Your big brother here just wanted to help, and you wouldn't listen."

I look at Christian who suddenly doesn't look like an evil psychopath, but someone who's just as scared as I am. He glances at me, but doesn't hold my gaze for too long before he glares at August again.