19.

CATALINA

"So you expect me to believe that I just so happened to end up at the same place as my 'twin brother' by circumstance?" I scoff out loud.

What kind of naïve idiot does he take me for? I know he necessarily doesn't have a reason to lie to me, but given his demeanor, I'd think he'd just lie to me for fun. Then again, I guess I'd rather believe he's my twin brother than believe that he's been stalking me, knows my last name, and birthday.

Still, even if he is related to me in some way, it doesn't change the fact that something is off about him. May it be his knack for annoyance, or the fact that everything is clean on him minus the smudge of blood on his shoe that I can't take my eyes off of.

It's weird that I'm in a room with someone who could be a murderer, yet my attitude doesn't falter a bit. I'm convinced that I actually need a therapist.

"Sorry about that by the way." He nods his head toward the ankle brace I'm wearing while he moves around to sit across from me.

I gasp silently as I get up. "You're the black car person who's been following me!"

His careless reveal causes me to have a reaction less dramatic than I thought.

I thought knowing this would do a lot more justice for me, but it doesn't. In fact, I'm more curious that frightened. I couldn't tell you why, but not much scares me anymore. Now, I just need answers.

"Why!? Where'd you even come from?"

"The same place you came from. Katrina De'LaRosa, twenty years ago at University Hospital of Portland."

"You know her name?" My voice is almost unrecognizable because it's taken away from me with shock.

"I know everything about her." He winks at me and I grimace.

He says it like he's teasing me, as if he knows that I don't have the first clue about my mother. It angers me a lot more than I'd like. I feel my cheeks face heating up in frustration at the thought of her keeping him and not me.

Is that what it is? Did he grow up knowing what it was like to have a real mom and I didn't? If so, how could you pick one child over the other? How did she even know that she preferred him instead of me?

"How?" my voice is quiet.

"because I found her, and then I met her. As soon as I turned 18, I went to look for her." he mimics my low voice and then chuckles.

"I'm not joking! What the fuck is so funny?!" I grow irritated with his chuckles and smirks.

It's not fair that he met her, and I feel like he's making fun of me somehow.

"I don't know why you're so angry. She really didn't live up to my expectations. She lives in this big house with her husband and daughter- you know, the classic orphan finds his family kind of stuff." Christian shrugs.

"So she got married and lived happily ever after without the guilt of the child she left behind weighing on her?" I question myself more than him, but of course he answers me anyway.

"Sucks right?"

I roll my eyes. If I didn't want to know everything he does about her, I would've walked away from this conversation. I still have so many questions and also the hope that I might get to meet her and see for myself.

There's always the possibility that he could be lying, but too many things add up for that to be a story he made up.

"She's so pretty though. You look like her." He shakes his head. "Shame you have such a..... irregular personality."