12.

CATALINA

My first are banging against the car window belonging to what could possible be a murderer and I'm so consumed with anger that I don't even think about what I'm doing. I'm standing so close trying to peer through the dark windows that I can smell the car gas.

In the blink of an eye, the engine revs and the car speeds off leaving skip marks and a cloud of smoke. A sharp pain shoots through my foot and I gasp in pain before balling to the ground in agony.

The sound of leaves ruffling under someone's foot is the only thing I can focus on due to the sharp obliterating pain in my ankle.

"What the hell is wrong with you!? Are you alright?" August shocks me and actually pretends to care.

"Like you care." I roll my eyes.

"If I wasn't the tiniest bit of concerned, I wouldn't be here."

I shake my head and try to focus on anything but this feeling in my foot.

"Well if you're going to pretend to care the least you can do is help me up."

"I didn't say I cared. I said I was concerned, more like interested not invested."

He stoops down to put my arm around his shoulder and helps me up to my feet.

"Ow!" I wince in pain once I'm standing up straight and my leg wobbles making me lose my balance all over again.

This must be a lot worse than I thought it was.

"You need to go to the doctor."

"Real nice observation." My voice is filled with venom because of how upset I am. "How the hell am I supposed to get there?"

Considering the fact that I can't even get up and walk on my own, I don't know what August is expecting me to do to get to a doctors office.

He sighs and just looks at me sitting on the ground glaring at him.

August uses his arm to help me up again and this time I'm smart enough to stand on one foot so I can take the pressure off of my ankle. He brings his hands under my knees to lift me up and my whole body tenses.

"Put me down." I demand.

"No. Just shut up sometimes and let me help you."

My jaw clenches in discomfort as he desperately tries his hardest to place in his hands in the right place so he won't make this anymore uncomfortable.

"I'm going to take you to a hospital if that's okay with you." August informs me.

I nod my head. I can't say anything without getting smart by the mouth so I just agree to accept that he is willing to help me. Why? I'll dwell on that another time.

I sit in the passengers seat of his car and stare ahead.

I can't ignore the thump in my ankle, it feels like my foot has a heartbeat of its own. The bulging pain brings actual tears to my eyes but I don't let them out.

"Thank you." I say quietly. Loud enough for him to hear me, but low enough so it doesn't antagonize me longer than it should.

"Never mind that. What happened to you?"

"I was.....none of your business." I change my mind because the only thing telling him will do is make the situation worse.

"Seriously? I saw a car driving really fast and then you fell. I thought they shot you or something."

"Sorry to disappoint, but nope they didn't shoot me.

"and why would that be disappointing?"

I roll my eyes. His fake sincerity is getting him no where even though I appreciate his help.