23.

CATALINA

"Tell me what?" He clears his throat, already preparing himself for my reveal.

I don't know what I'm supposed to say or how I'm even supposed to say it while letting him know that he can still trust me. I don't expect him to trust me after that.

I hadn't even planned on what I would say, but this isn't something you plan. It's an impulse decision and telling him is risky.

"Christian- there is no simple way to put this so promise you won't overreact." Although I don't think any reaction to hearing someone wants to kill you would be an overreaction.

"Uhm alright." He shrugs.

He won't be so remiss once he hears this. He'll probably never talk to me again.

"Christian wants to kill you." I blurt out, looking around making sure no one hears me. "He wants me to help him and if I don't he'll kill you on his own, but he'll also kill my mother and my other mother."

I wait to feel the weight of the world lift off of my shoulders, but nothing happens. In fact, it just gets heavier as I wait on his response. I didn't do anything but worsen the situation, but I couldn't just let him die.

As expected, his first reaction isn't to give me a joyful hug and a thanks for the new intel. He just sits in the chair with his arm crossed, nodding his head with the same look in his eye that I see looking at my brother.

"but listen you can't do anything-"

"What do you mean I can't do anything!" He finally breaks his deadly stare to make me the subject of his anger. "Do you expect me to listen to anything you say?"

"Please." I beg. "I just need you to act clueless until I can make sure my parents are safe."

That's all I want. He can handle this situation however he wants when everyone I care about is out of harms way. I'll even go on a family road trip if I have to.

"How do I know this isn't just apart of your plan? You telling me and then telling me to relax."

I let out a frustrated huff. Everything in my life is so hectic and I just miss when I thought I was a lonely orphan with no hope of finding her real mom.

I feel like I'm just going to explode one of these days, and it just might be right now.

"It's not! I'm trying to help you and if you care anything about- actually you don't even have to give a shit about me, you owe me. For telling you, you have to promise me you won't act on it."

"I'm sorry Catalina, but I don't consider morals if my life is on the line." August shakes his head as he stands up to leave from the store.

"Really? Had I not had morals you wouldn't even know your life is on the line. So like I said, you owe me."

I can't even believe his ignorance right now. Like wise, I get up to follow him. I'm to the point where this is all so much that I don't care which one of them goes as long as my mothers aren't included.

"I don't want to sound like a bad person, but if I have to pick between my life and your parents I'm going to choose me." He says it like he has no other choice.

"What?" Is my first reaction because I'm so in shock at how selfish he sounds.

I thought he was bad before, but I obviously hadn't seen anything. Him and Christian are carved from the same wood and I'm upset that it took me risking the safety of those who I care about and my own just to see that.