Chapter 11: Trusting the Master of Potion Making

Oh, Merlin.

Katherine stepped inside the classroom, waiting for Potions class to begin.

After Professor Slughorn arrived, they were told that they're going to be making a potion in pairs.

"Since both of you are here," the Professor looked at Draco and Katherine, "I have to pair you up together."

After every pair took their place, Slughorn clapped his hands together.

"So today, you are going to attempt making quite a popular potion, Amortentia. The instructions are in your books, you can start now."

Draco turned to Katherine with a smirk on his face, then he saw that she looked like someone just murdered a puppy right in front of her eyes.

"Is something wrong?"

"I, um... Well, it's just that I'm not very good at Potions," she said quietly, avoiding eye contact.

"It's your lucky day, then. I'm like the master of potion-making."

She looked up at him with a questioning face.

"What? I am! Come on, I'll help you."

"Great!" She grinned. "I hope I'll smell chocolate..."

They started working on their potion, Draco ending up doing most of the work.

"Stop!" He raised his voice at her at one point. "That's not the right ingredient, Kat."

He grabbed whatever she was holding out of her hands before she could drop it in the cauldron and replaced it with the right one.

"Okay, you can proceed now," he nodded and Katherine dropped it in.

After a while Draco nodded, wiping his hands.

"It's done. Do you want to –"

"No, you go first, I'm scared," Katherine shook her head.

He smirked at her, then he bent down to smell the Amortentia.

The Hufflepuff waited for more than a minute, but Draco was still smelling it, his eyebrows furrowed.

"We messed it up, didn't we? It's all my fault –"

"No," he cleared his throat, straightening his back. "No, we actually did a great job, I think."

She walked next to Draco with a confused look on her face, then she bent down to smell the Amortentia.

"Are you sure we didn't mess it up?" She asked.

"Positive. Why?"

She smelled it again, then came back up, shaking her head.

"There must be something wrong with my nose, then. I can only smell you."

Draco's eyebrows shot up in surprise, a smirk appearing on his lips.

"Oh, really?" He crossed his arms on his chest, an amused look on his face.

"I mean, I can smell you already, I'm standing right next to you... I don't understand..."

Draco shook his head, chuckling. He understood it very well, and he was glad.

He smelled her too.

***

Katherine was sitting next to Draco on the loveseat as they were waiting for McGonagall to arrive.

"Welcome to another Life Class, everyone!" She greeted them. "Today's going to be all about forming a connection and trust between you and your partner. Your first task is to make soft eye contact with your partner. Remember, this is not a staring competition, so keep that in mind and don't dry your eyes out, please," McGonagall sighed. "You shall start."

Katherine turned towards Draco.

"So we just have to stare at each other in silence?" He asked.

"I guess."

"Cool," he said, not breaking eye contact.

"Oh, did we start already?"

Draco rolled his eyes, then he looked back at her, nodding.

Katherine knew he had grey eyes, but after actually having to look at them from up close for a longer period of time, she noticed that they were so much more than grey. It was like a hurricane meeting the sea, each colour fighting for dominance. They were so intense, she wanted to look away, but she knew she wasn't allowed to this time. She couldn't save herself from drowning in his eyes, and the fact that they were piercing through her ones with so much power only made her realize how bad she was at swimming.

Draco felt like he just found his true home. Kat's eyes radiated such warmness, they could easily put fireplaces to shame. The small touch of green showing in her eyes as the light touched them was simply stunning. He never really liked brown eyes that much, but at that moment he wished that he never had to look at anything else. Her eyes were so soft, he could practically feel her hug through them, and she never even gave him a hug before.

"Okay, now moving on to the next task," McGonagall broke the silence in the room.

Kat started blinking repeatedly, looking away from Draco shyly.

"This will require you to stand up," she continued. "One of you will have to fall backwards, while the other catches them, then repeat this the other way around as well. Do you understand?"

Everyone remained quiet and McGonagall nodded, telling them to start.

"Come on," Draco stood up. "You can go first."

The girl got on her feet nervously and stood in front of him. She was about to let herself fall, but she stopped.

He groaned, telling her to try again, but she couldn't do it for the second time either.

"Seriously, Katherine?"

"It's not as easy as it looks, okay?" She protested.

"It is easy, you just don't trust me."

"No, I do!"

"Do you?" He raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "Let's switch, I'll do it."

Kat pouted but did as she was told.

"Ready?" Draco asked.

"Yes."

To her surprise, Draco let himself fall into her arms without a second thought. She caught him, then he stood back up.

"See? It's not that hard if you actually trust the other person."

"I trust you!"

"Prove it, then."

She stood to the spot Draco was before.

"Whenever you're ready," he said.

Kat took a big breath, closed her eyes, then leaned backwards. Draco caught her with ease.

"Wasn't so hard, now, was it?"

She shook her head no as he helped her back up.

"You shouldn't have been scared in the first place, you know," he looked into her eyes. "Falling's not that scary as long as you know there's someone to catch you."

Kat stared right back into Draco's eyes, feeling like they were the only people there.

"Mr Potter!" McGonagall raised her voice, making Katherine jump and look away from Draco. "I believe it must be hard for you to keep your hands to yourself, but I'm sure Miss Weasley can wait until the class is over," she looked towards the back of the room with a stern look.

"Sure," Harry cleared his throat as Ginny smirked at him. "Sorry, Professor."