Chapter 15: Cannot Change the Past

People were running around Hogwarts, fighting for their and each other's lives. Parts of the castle were crumbling down, the curse shouting's and ear-piercing screams filling the air.

"Bree!" Katherine called out desperately, spotting a girl from Hufflepuff.

Her friend was running from one of the Death Eaters. She had no better plan, she lost her wand a few minutes ago.

"Stupefy!" Kat shouted, successfully hitting the Death Eater with it.

Bree ran up to her, panting heavily.

"Thanks."

She nodded, telling the Hufflepuff to follow her closely.

Kat was trying to get them to a safer place in the castle, but there were so many people surrounding them, it seemed almost impossible.

"Crucio!" She heard, but she casted Protego to dodge the curse.

They saw a Ravenclaw boy fighting a Death Eater as well, but he fell to the ground.

"Expelliarmus!"

The bald man's wand got snatched away, giving time for the Ravenclaw to stand up and finish him. He sent a quick nod to Kat, then they both continued on their way.

They almost made it back inside when she heard a deep voice from behind them.

"Avada Kedavra!"

There was a small thud following it and she looked down, seeing Bree's lifeless body.

"No!" She screamed, her eyes watering as she looked up at the man who had a disgusting smirk on his face.

•••

"Kat!" Draco shook her. "For Merlin's sake, Katherine, wake up!"

She jolted up in the bed, tears streaming down her face. She felt like she couldn't breathe.

Draco put his left arm on her shoulder, trying to calm her down. She was still half asleep, but her eyes travelled to his arm where she noticed the faded, but still visible Death Mark on his forearm. Her eyes widened in horror.

The Slytherin glanced in the direction she was looking at, then he realised, a frown appearing on his features.

"You... Get away from me!"

Katherine started moving around on the bed, but Draco held her down.

"Let me go, you murderer!" She shouted. "You killed my friend!"

His heart sank at the sight of her.

"Kat, please... It's me," he whispered desperately, hugging the girl to his body gently.

She was sobbing, her body shaking with fear.

"It's me, Draco," he tried again. "Please just calm down, I won't hurt you, please don't cry."

He pulled the girl on his lap, pulling the covers over them. He started stroking her hair, rocking her body back and forth.

It was weird for him, he never had to do anything like that before.

"Dra-Draco?" Kat whispered.

"Yes, love. It's me."

She wrapped her arms around his neck, sniffling quietly.

"You're okay now, it was just a nightmare."

Another sob broke out of her at his words.

"No, it wasn't."

He pulled away a little so he could look at her face.

"What do you mean?" Draco asked carefully.

"It-it wasn't a nightmare... It was a memory."

"Do you want to tell me?"

Kat nodded hesitantly, then she began telling him everything that was in her dream and the things that happened that day.

"If only I was a bit quicker... Or if I noticed..." Another tear rolled down her cheek. "I couldn't save her, Draco. We were so close... And then she just... She just..."

"Shh, it's okay, Kat," he wiped her cheek with his thumb. "It's not your fault."

"But –"

"No, no buts! You did all you could to protect her, and you cannot change the past, no matter how much you'd want to sometimes," he looked into her eyes.

Her story amazed him. She fought so bravely that day, unlike him. The thought that he was one of them only made him feel worse.

Draco stared down at the mark on his forearm, regret filling his eyes.

Katherine grabbed his face, forcing him to look away from it.

"We all make mistakes, Draco," she stared into his eyes deeply. "And we all have our reasons behind them."

He nodded slowly, looking down.

The Hufflepuff pouted, hugging him tightly.

"You're not alone. Not anymore."

He closed his eyes, feeling a single tear escaping them, which he wiped away quickly.

"Thank you," he whispered.

"That's what I'm here for," she smiled softly, pulling away.

Draco returned the gesture.

"We should probably go back to sleep, we still have some time until we have to get up for school," he said quietly.

Katherine nodded and laid back down, followed by him.

She felt Draco wrapping his arms around her waist as he held her closer to him.

The two fell back to sleep, neither of them having nightmares again.