20 | d a l l o n

how embarrassing that I didn't change the title I'm so done with life rn omg

-

Let me tell you that summer is the worst season. Winter is where it's at with all the layers and jackets and the hot chocolate. It's the best season.

Summer is hot and muggy and gross. There's no way to escape the heat. It's horrible. It's not like you can take off all the layers and when it's still too hot you have nothing left. You're left to suffer in the hot sun. Not fun. Not. Fun.

In the winter it's like a fight to stay warm. It's a competition of who has the most hoodies and who can put on the most layers. Who gets warm faster and who is naturally cold. It's hot chocolate on the coldest days and cuddles on loneliest. I love it. What's not to love?

Work was horrendous to say the least. Multiple people came in for heat stroke and others are just dumb. I can't tell if the dumbness is seasonal or all year round.

I check my phone and see a text from brendon. You're a nurse right? Tell me, will I graduate if I die from excessive heat?

I laugh and sit down at the reception desk. Most likely you'll just have to finish it in hell. I write back.

Well damn. He responded.

I stare at it, remembering last night when we saw a movie. And two nights before when I got to see a bunch of things. Also kissing Brendon but the telescope was fun.

I shove my phone in my pocket as I see Dr. Williams walking my way. She's with a young girl with bright colourful hair. Orange, or maybe red. I can't tell.

"Dallon! You're working late! How are my patients?"

"Josh has your patients today." I tell her. She looks at me like I've just told her the worst news ever. "Ryan's as good as usual, though! He should be allowed to go home soon, right?"

"He should be monitored for a while, you know that." She said.

The girl behind her looked around aimlessly, but comfortably. Like she knows the hospital but she's never been here. If that makes any sense.

"This is my daughter Hayley. You remember her?" Dr. Williams said. And I do. Sort of. I think I had her as a patient once or something.

"Nice to see you again." I say but regret it immediately. I'm a nurse. It's never nice to see anyone again.

Dr. Williams guides Hayley to the desk and sits her beside me. "She's gonna be here a while. Give her something to do." She winks and gives a thumbs up.

She gets a page and looks at it then waved bye to Hayley. We both watch as she disappears into the hallway.

"You don't remember me, right?" Hayley asks, sitting back in the chair. She crosses one leg over the other and taps her fingers.

I smile sadly at her but she only plays with a bracelet on her wrist. She's twisting it and pulling it and overall having the time of her life with it. "That's fine." She says. "You have a lot of patients." Hayley seems like the type of person to want something but say something else. She says it's fine but really she's probably mad about it. And I get that. "You don't have to do anything I'll just get in the way. But, if you do then I'll be here all night."

"I'm sure I'll find something." I assure her, pulling out a couple of files. She can't look through these, they're private.

"You look young." She says suddenly. "How old are you?"

"I turned twenty-one a couple of weeks ago!"

She sits up from her comfort and looks at me dead in the eye. "You must be a good nurse! You're so young and my mom prefers you?"

I try my best to take that as a compliment. She has no filter, does she? "It seems that way. How old are you?"

"Seventeen." She says angrily.

We both sit in silence for a while behind the desk. It's slow. Feels really slow. Like nobody is here but us two. Which is true. It's late and everybody is out checking on patients or eating. Or even gone home for the night.

I hand her a piece of paper with specific instructions: Write down really good pick-up lines.

And she's about to before a shout across the halls brings us away from that plan.

Both me and Hayley look up to see Mark running towards me. "Mark?" I shout back.

He looks like he's been running a marathon. His hands are on his knees and he's breathing really heavy. Where did he even come from?

"Your patient..." he pants. "He's back."

-

I'm going to see aquaman today

-jj