18 | d a l l o n

After eating more pizza than we should have, Brendon and I are in his room and he's showing me all his stuff. I'd imagined toy cars and space ships, but it's actually pretty mature. He has two shelves: one with a globe and a book, and a snow globe wedged between a bunch of movies on the other. I, however, am not surprised by the amount of movies taking place in space that he has.

"Now, brace yourself." He says. He had put away a couple things in drawers when we went to his room so now he dusted his hands on his jeans and brought me to a door. Now, if I recall, to get to his room means crossing stairs. So is he planning a double suicide right now or is there a balcony behind the door? "You're about to witness something amazing!"

He opened the door to reveal a telescope on a balcony. It was probably turned at the perfect angle for some reason yet to be known by me.

Brendon ignores my surprised and curious state and sits down in one of the two lawn chairs placed on either side of the telescope.

There are little Christmas lights hung up around the frame of the wall and the fence on the ledge making it feel like it isn't May. The stars are out and the sun has well disappeared. And the city in the distance is asleep. He lives more out in the country and around us all the lights are off besides the few street lamps.

So this is gonna be great.

He puts his eye to the telescope for a second. I remember him telling me about the telescope but we haven't had an actual conversation about it.

"Look." He stands up to the end of the telescope and I do as he said.

It's dark. Really dark. It's like the telescope is zoomed in on a black hole full of dark matter and nowhere close to any stars or planets.

"I can't see the stars."

He laughs and I look away from the seeing device to see that his hand is covering the lense. He clicks a button and pops off the cover and then motions for me to look.

And it's nothing like I've ever seen before. Right in front of my eyes is Saturn and all the rings and it's wonderful. I can't look away.

"Beautiful, right?"

"I think I'm gonna cry."

He laughs again and I hear him rustling around. He twists a knob or something but it makes the image clearer and now I feel like I could cry for a whole city.

"This is why you pushed me up to your room so urgently?" I move my chair closer to get comfortable and continue to squint my eye.

I've soaked it all in. The beauty, the existential crisis feelings, and then the pure joy. All of it. I wish I could live in this feeling forever.

I look a little longer and hear Brendon whispering.

"I had to time it perfectly." He spoke up.

For a split second I could've sworn Brendon wanted to hold my hand, or touch my knee, or do something. So, I move my face away from the telescope and smile so brightly I couldn't see.

"Wanna see something else?"

"of course!" I cheer and wait for Brendon to move the telescope.

It's just a couple stars. Very far away but the picture is so clear. It's a cluster of three, and I can see all of them. He flipped a button a couple times to show me the difference and without the clear image curator, I would only see one glob.

"This is amazing, thank you."

"It's no problem."

He taps my back. And then again until I get the hint.

-

hi

-jj