38 | d a l l o n

The night fell so fast. It felt like we had no time, yet somehow we had all the time in the world.

I still feel like I have all the time in the world. I feel so unbelievably happy. I couldn't have asked for a better day or a better person to spend it with. Though, he does have superior sand castle building skills, I have better decision making when it comes to beachside food trucks.

Even now, laying in my bed, recounting the days events while listening to the sound of his breathing, I feel so fortunate.

We built the sand castle and it looked better than Geoff and Awstens. So naturally we crowned ourselves the kings of sand engineering. Brendon made sure ours had a door while I built a moat around it. Awstens was just a mountain of sand. They didn't have much attempt considering the amount of times Geoff said something to make Awsten figuratively die inside. I gotta admit, it was cute.

While Geoff and Awsten went into the water, Brendon and I sat under the umbrella and made ourselves at home with Awstens snacks. He brought fruit and essential beach snacks along with Pringle's and juice. We ate more than we should have.

I even managed to convince Brendon to tell me a space fact. One I already knew but the moon basically tells the tides what to do. The moon is like the commander of the ocean. I told him that.

And he said, "Basically!" And got really excited and started to ramble on about the topic. Finding more metaphors and even beginning to tell me stuff that I didn't know.

He did go quiet after I asked how excited he was to go to school in California.

"I'm not sure I'm going." He mumbled under his breath. He was upset about it. But I was glad he finally told me something about it. It was like he kept every feeling he had for his future under lock and key in his mind since that scare.

"Why? Do you not want to?"

I remember him picking at the loose threads on the fabric and how he couldn't stop moving around on his damp towel. "I don't know. I don't really want to talk about it."

I feel bad even now about pressing about it, but I couldn't leave it floating in the air aimlessly. I had to keep it going. "I think you should go. I think you might regret passing it up."

"You want me to go?"

"Of course." I'm sure of it. I don't care if I won't see him often.

Brendon moved on the bed to face the wall, taking me out of my thoughts for just a moment. I wonder if he's hearing what I'm thinking about. Maybe he just knows. He's like a mind reader.

I would feel horrible if I were the one to keep him back. Besides, he shouldn't make drastic decisions like this without thinking about them for a while. Nobody should make decisions while grieving.

He threw a blueberry at me to stop the conversation from going anywhere else. I got it though. He isn't ready.

Geoff and Awsten were holding their breath to see who could last longer, but that ended up with them in fits of giggles when they got up for air.

Brendon watched too. Then smiled and stood up. He would have knocked the umbrella over if I wasn't holding onto it.

"Let's get real food." He held his hand for me to take. I would never deny a chance to hold his hand.

"Corn dogs."

"Fries."

"Pizza?"