21 | b r e n d o n

Being asleep in a hospital is weird. It's like, where the hell am I? Also it's like I don't dream while I'm here. Or sleep. I just think and think.

Think about space, time, school, Dallon, love, the future. Anything that I can think about during a full 8 hours.

But when I do wake up there's almost always a conversation.

I don't even think I was out that long.

The two from the hallway disperse and I look to my side.

What happened? Why am I here? What's wrong? Did I almost die? Are my limbs still attached? My left arm hurts like fucking hell.

I can't breathe. I can't. It's hard, like the breaths are sticking to my throat again. Not this again, not this. Oh god-

I sit up abruptly and grip my chest so hard in hope that it'll rip through my skin and slow the fast rate of my beating heart but I end up just getting a horrible pain in my arm and chest. Is this phantom limb? It's so unbearable.

"Hey! Hey you're fine, you're okay!"

I look to see who it is with pleading eyes. I can't see. I don't have my glasses I can't tell if it's a stranger or not. Oh god, a stranger helping me with a panic attack. How embarrassing.

I recognize her voice, though. Not really. But sort of. I've definitely heard it before I just don't know where or who it belongs to.

I try to take a deep breath and feel my chest rising... and falling... and repeat.

"You're fine. You got into a car crash, but you're okay!" She perked up.

"What happened?"

I look around the room. Same room as last time I assume. I can't read who the nurse is because I don't have my damn glasses.

"A car hit you." Hayley says slowly. "He didn't see the stop sign and he's waiting in the other room for you but the doctor said that it wasn't the greatest idea."

She clicked a button beside the bed and smiled at me. "You don't recognize me do you?"

Red hair, bangs, I can only assume she's wearing crazy clothes. It's gotta be Hayley Williams.

"I do. You're in my English class. You weren't there today?"

"Off day, you know?" She shrugged.

Suddenly Dallon popped into the room hunched over and taking deep breaths.

He looked up and frowned. "You could have died." He yells without hesitation. Gives me a headache, really. "Tell me truthfully, is it because you were texting me?"

"What?"

"Your accident. Did you not see the guy?"

I try to think back, but I honestly don't remember. I barely even remember texting Dallon let alone getting into an accident. I just remember being tired and exhausted from school and the heat and talking with my mom.

Where is my mom?

Dallon hands me my glasses from the table and then rests his hands on his hips. "I don't remember." I whisper.

"Damnit, Brendon!"

Hayley stood up and intervened, talking just above her normal voice. "Hey! Don't yell at him he just woke up!"

They argue in front of me about who's more superior. I would say Dallon but I've known Hayley my whole life.

"What happened?"

"Well ain't that the question of the hour." Dallon mumbled.

"The impact from the car caused pneumothorax which is-"

"It's when your lungs get a hole and you can't breathe. So they brought you in for surgery to fix it up. You're good now." He sighs. "You also have a broken arm." I look down to the cast I didn't know was there. That explains why I thought my arm was missing. It's a blue cast. "You also have some bruising. You're lucky the crash wasn't worse."

"Dallon-"

"No, I'm going to call your mom again."

He goes out of the room and Hayley looks at me with a sad smile.

She's always so quiet. What is she doing here? Is she my emergency contact? I don't know her. What's happening?

"He's scared... or something. I don't know. But just give him time." She laughs lightly and leans forward on the bed. "He was here the whole time and as soon as he left you woke up."

Why couldn't he just not worry? Why did he have to yell.

"Where did the accident happen?"

"By the Dairy Queen on Main Street."

"Where was I headed?"

"If anything it looked like you were headed to the park."

But why the park? I have so many questions.

I close my eyes and try to remember anything. It sucks not knowing.

And then Dr. Williams comes in and explains to me.

I have pneumothorax. And she's concerned. Really concerned.

I tell her everything from feeling exhausted to waking up. Then she gets even more concerned.

I start to panic again but Hayley calms me down before anything happens. If my doctor is concerned, should I be?

She clears out— everyone does. This all just sucks. Dr. Williams left the room to go do some thinking and Hayley left to leave me alone for a while. Dallon's been avoiding me and suddenly I want the guy from the accident to come in just so I don't feel so alone.

The one question I have is if my mom is even going to show up. I've been bailing on her too many times lately, so why wouldn't she bail on me?

-

hi I just finished graveyard blues and I have no idea what to feel so have another chapter pls

-jj