16 | d a l l o n

"I just don't get it." I say softly. I'm picking at the carrots on my plate. I ate the celery, but carrots aren't my thing.

Brendon leans forward in his chair. These are nice chairs I guess. They're soft but the arm rests are constricting in a way. Like I can't exactly move freely. I may as well be tied up. "What's not to get?" He speaks. "I admire that someone would be so in love and then have those feelings reciprocated." Brendon muttered out the last part and then bites down on a piece of toast.

Okay, okay. Let me set the scene:

It's quite ominous, actually.

I was just heading out of the hospital from working a bit of over time (they'll kill me for clocking in more hours than I should) and got a text from Brendon. Sounded pretty okay I guess. He wanted to know if I was busy.

A conversation strikes and suddenly I'm at a restaurant with Brendon and we're arguing about whether or not Romeo and Juliet was tragic or could've been handled better.

I move my plate away and rest my hands on the table. I have to make a point. "I don't think love really existed between Romeo and Juliet. They knew each other for about a day, and already wanted to get married. It was all based on looks."

"True love definitely exists at first sight. Even if it didn't, it could later. But it's exactly what happened with Romeo and Juliet." Brendon shrugged slowly. "So you think that if love doesn't happen from the start, it won't happen later on?"

"I think that if you don't click at first, then love isn't bound to happen." I state plainly but confidently.

"That's insightful, also very close-minded." Brendon sat back in his chair and pursed his lips. It looked so natural, like this is his constant mood. "I think I'm going to have to prove you wrong." His voice is cocky and knowing.

"And how do you plan on doing that?"

"One day, maybe weeks from now, years, who knows. But one day, you're gonna fall in love with me. It's my goal now."

He stands up and brushes off his pants. He's so nonchalant. There was nothing on his pants. I guess it's to add some flare, who knows. I swear this guy can be as confident as a mouse, but also as a star. "Why?"

"Because you seem to have little hope for love. And that's sad." He slides on his jacket and pulls out his wallet to pay for his meal, then heads out toward the front of the restaurant. "And besides, I love a challenge."

"Why is it challenging?" I question, tapping my card against the table top in anticipation of our waiter.

"Why would it be easy?"

He's got a point there. But I don't see the big deal. All I'm saying is that love sucks. He's right. I have little hope for that sort of thing.

We walk out of the restaurant and immediately his eyes look up to the night sky. He's looking at the stars like he's never seen them before.

"I'll cook for you on Friday. We can talk more then." He says easily. Like asking me on a date isn't a big deal to him. Maybe he's gone on multiple dates or something. I don't know.

"Why?" Now why would I ask that. I'm honestly the dumbest person I've ever met.

He looks at me and smiles. "I gotta win somehow."

-

sorry I had to fix up this chapter bc it kind of just made no sense and I still kind of feel that way about it now but it's fine

I was putting it off all day but I guess it's ready now???

Also my next update is gonna be in 2019 how wild

-jj