Chapter One

Midnight At The Sheriff's

LISA sat in the office. She was now calm after moments of crying but she was still in shock. She looked at the clock, it was thirty minutes to twelve at the night.

It was almost exactly three hours ago when she stepped into her neighbour, Sarah's, house. She had been dialling Sarah's line but there was no answer.

She didn't want to bother and almost thought about not visiting but she had already left. She was about to ring the bell when she had noticed the door was slightly open.

Sarah never left her door open, it was always closed. Feeling something wasn't right, Lisa ventured into the house that seemed eerily quiet.

There was no distant sound of a TV show, or clatter of dishes or sounds from a cooking pot. It was a Monday night and Lisa knew Sarah would be watching TV or doing the dishes or cooking as Sarah always had free Tuesdays, but she heard nothing.

She checked the kitchen and called Sarah's name but got no response. Getting a bit worried she headed inside. Sarah lived in a bungalow that had the same interior and exterior as the other houses on the street, so Lisa knew where to go, plus, she had been in this very house plenty of times.

There were two rooms in the house, Sarah's and one for the guests, whenever she had one. Lisa once again found Sarah's bedroom door open and now had a bad feeling but it wasn't compared to how she felt when she saw a trail of red liquid.

Using her eyes to follow the trail it led her straight to a horrible sight. Beside her bed laid Sarah with a blood stained shirt and black jeans, her hair was a mess. Her head was sideways and her eyes were open, staring, but seeing nothing.

She looked lifeless, she was lifeless.

Lisa had let out a shrill scream. Not long after she had called the police, an ambulance arrived. They needn't do any last minute revivals or CPR. She was long gone and it was obvious by the amount of blood on the floor.

Lisa saw the ambulance leave and immediately Sheriff Robin headed towards her.

"Lisa I am so sorry for what has happened here. I want to assure you that I would do my best to make sure that the person who did this would be imprisoned.", he said and Lisa nodded.

"I would like to know what you saw and how the day was for you from the beginning. I understand you wouldn't be able to stay here considering it's just beside a crime scene and it's surrounded by policemen. Would you mind coming with me to drop your statement and probably resting at my house after?", Sheriff Robin suggested and she stared at him with her red puffy eyes.

Robin was a nice man, some years older than Lisa. He once had feelings for her, but she could never return them. Things got strained between them when she had started dating Hugh.

Hugh never got along with Robin because he felt Robin was always trying hard to get in everyone's good graces and wasn't genuine, despite him being a sheriff while Robin never got along with Hugh because he felt he was up to no good. He didn't have a particular reason to feel so, he just didn't like Hugh.

Robin had married years ago and even had a daughter who was five, but he had marital issues with his wife. She wanted him to leave the town and get a better job elsewhere but Robin didn't want to and that led to their divorce and her leaving the town, of course without her daughter. She had left Robin to deal with work and a growing daughter.

This made her a topic of gossip for a while in the town. Some people openly talked bad about her in front of Robin, some offered help in raising his daughter and some women saw this as their opportunity to throw themselves at him.