Chapter Nine

The Detectives

PABLO sat in the interrogation room under the harsh gaze of Robin. He had been here since last night, they both had been. The reason was that Pablo was giving the same answer to Robin's question.

"I'm asking you again. Where were you on the night of Sarah's murder?", he asked.

"And I'm telling you again, that I was at my house.", Pablo yelled and when Robin didn't say anything he continued.

"I told you Hugh and I went to my mother's, then he drove me back home before he left for his place.", Pablo said irritated.

"You're hiding something and...", but Pablo had had it.

"Okay, that's the last straw Sheriff. I've repeatedly told you everything. I've been here since last night patiently answering you again and again, saying the same thing over and over but I will not have it now. I'm very tired and I believed I've helped you as much as I can. As for Hugh, despite him being my best pal I don't know where he is. Everybody has their secrets and actions that we may never know regardless of how close we are to them. So please can I go now because me being here isn't going to help you find Hugh in any way!", Pablo yelled.

"You know you're right Pablo. Everyone has their secrets and actions that we will never know. I just hope you aren't keeping one from me.", Robin said and Pablo sighed angrily.

"Nevertheless, you're free to go.", he said and Pablo stood.

"Thank you.", Pablo said, looking like he didn't mean it.

When he got out he started walking but stopped when he saw Lisa standing against her car. He had known Lisa since they were kids.

They had been friends or so he thought until they went to college and he started having feelings for her. He never told her because Lisa had always told him he was her best friend, after Raven that is.

After that, he vowed not to tell her anything so as not to harm their friendship and instead wait till he got over it. But he never did and it hurt so much when she started dating Hugh. It took him months to get over it the fact that she was now dating Hugh, when it might have been him if he had just summoned the courage to tell her how he felt.

At first, he had gotten angry unreasonably and at the littlest of things. So when he saw that his anger was hurting their friendship, both with Lisa and Hugh, he decided to take some time off. Later, he got used to seeing them together but he never stopped having those feelings.

That was why he never had a girlfriend. No one knew of his feelings, not even Raven. Casting the thought away he headed towards Lisa.

"Hey, Lisa what are you doing here?", he asked.

"Waiting for you. C'mon get in.", she said.

Pablo, a little stunned, got in. But he soon understood why she was here.

"You want me to tell you what Robin said don't you?", he asked and she turned to him as she started the car.

"Well of course. I mean, I'm just... Robin told me everything when he came to Raven's house yesterday and I don't want to believe it but everything seems like Hugh did it and..."

"But he didn't.", Pablo said.

"And what makes you so sure?", she asked as she drove off.

"'Cause he's my best friend and if he says he didn't, then he didn't. I trust him.", he said then in a small voice. "I thought you would trust him.", he said.

"But Pablo why would he lie? If he had just told the truth..."

"Robin wouldn't have believed him. And he was right, that you wouldn't believe him.", Pablo said angrily.