Chapter Twenty-One

Sheriff In Jail

LISA walked slowly and once she opened the door she paused mid-swing when she saw Raven. 

"Woah Lisa you wanna hit me or something?", Raven asked, confusion etched over her features.

"Oh what was I thinking.", she muttered. "Raven I'm so so sorry. I thought... Please come in.", she said and Raven entered still looking at Lisa like she had two heads.

Raven carefully watched Lisa as she set the baseball bat down. Then her expression changed to one of concern.

"I hope you're not getting any threats or something?", Raven asked.

"No no. I don't know why I... it's just when Sarah... oh forget it.", she said and sat dow but Raven was still not convinced.

"Lisa if anything is bothering you, you can tell me. I'm here for you and you're here for me remember.", Raven said.

"Yeah, I'm just, sorry. Really, I don't know what came over me.", she apologised again.

"It's fine though. But don't tell me that's your baseball bat since sophomore year?", Raven asked.

They were both on the female baseball team when they were in high school. Raven had stopped before she graduated but Lisa continued till she finished.

"Actually it is. I didn't still think I had it. It was just lying somewhere when Sarah had found it and she asked if I could teach her baseball and...", she trailed off.

They were both silent for a while.

"I wish you taught her. I wish she had learnt it before...", Raven stopped.

Lisa looked at her and her expression was blank. Raven was very good at hiding her emotions and Lisa knew this. But sometimes she wished Raven would show something, anything.

She sat beside Raven.

"So why did you visit this early? Is there something you wanna tell me?", Lisa asked and for the first time, Raven looked troubled, very troubled and this concerned Lisa.

She was just wishing Raven would show an emotion and now she did she was worried she was showing emotion.

"I'm... I'm staying at Laura's house.", she said and Lisa gave her a puzzled expression. Was that what worried her?

She knew Laura to be a school teacher also.

"Is... Is there something wrong?", she asked.

"No, it's just her place is closer to school and with those extra lessons I'm giving it's helpful. I felt I should tell you.", Raven said.

Lisa narrowed her eyes a bit.

"Is that why you came to visit me, on a Sunday morning?", she asked with a bit of suspicion in her voice, but Raven didn't notice.

"No, I... uh just wanted to spend some time with you. It's been long and you know, just to catch up and know what you're up to.", Raven said.

Lisa was considering telling her about the diary. That would require a lot of explaining and she might get angry that they kept it from her and...

"Lisa!",

"Huh?"

"I'm off to the toilet. Why're you so in your head?", Raven asked before she stood up and left. Lisa was contemplating telling Raven when Raven called her to the room.

"What's that?", Raven asked and Lisa saw she was pointing at the diary which was closed and the back side facing up.

On second thought, maybe some other time, Lisa thought and hurriedly went to the diary.