Chapter Fourteen

The Kiss

"IS he always like that?", Josh asked Madisyn. They had gone round the whole town, and now they knew most of the people, the important ones, and how they lived their lives.

They ended back at the pub where they met last night and Ian was chatting animatedly with Rohan, the pub owner, who happened to be the sheriff's cousin.

Josh had told them that both Robin and Rohan didn't get along after Robin's wife had left. Ian seemed interested in this and for the first time since they started the trip, he left them alone.

"Chatty? He tends to act like that most times. He can be fun too.", she said.

"I was going to say interrupting.", he said and she chuckled. "What? I mean this is the first time he's left us alone since we started.", Josh said, masking his frustration.

"He can be like that. It's like his intuition.", he said and Josh just gave her a confused look.

"Make me understand how.", Josh said.

"Well, he's just being cautious. There was a murder here and anyone could be the killer. The person could be hiding in plain sight or could have left but either ways, we have a duty to find them.", she explained.

"He can be scary sometimes.", Josh said and she knew he was referring to Ian. So she rolled her eyes.

"Don't mind him so much.", she said.

"He makes it feel like we're on a date but your overprotective father decided to tag along.", Josh laughed but she just smiled, one that didn't reach her eyes.

"Don't worry, that can't happen, because I don't have a dad.", he said and he gave her a look. Pity, maybe.

"It's cool though. I never knew him so...", she paused. "He left my mum when she was pregnant with me. Later, my mum got married to a man with two daughters. They were bitches but I lived. They always said I didn't behave like a girl and I was tomboyish 'cause I didn't really have boyfriends.", she said.

"That must have suck.", he said. "How did they take the news about you becoming a detective?", he asked and she chuckled.

"Oh, they didn't take it well at all. They wanted me to do something more feminine, but it's what I wanted to do so they couldn't stop me.", she said.

"You sound stubborn.", he smiled and she did too.

"Oh I can be.", she said and they both laughed.

"Why didn't you tell me Sarah was your girlfriend?", she asked after a while and he looked at her.

"He told you right.", he said instead.

"Well yeah. I'm not mad though.", she said and waited for his reply.

"I was at the pub so I could forget. I had been in my house since the incident but my mum said I should go out. So I did.", he said.

Madisyn felt pity for him but she didn't want to show it. She knew some people didn't like pity from others and he could be one of them. She placed her hands on his and he looked at her. She gave him a comforting smile.

"Is there anyone you can think of? Even if it's some baseless suspicion, you could be right. We've had cases like that.", she said.

He thought for a while before he spoke.

"There's Sidney.", he started.

The principal whose necklace was found at the crime scene, interesting. She thought.