Chapter Three

The Interrogations

JOSH sat down with a huge scowl on his face. He was beyond frustrated. He just got the news that his girlfriend was found dead, murdered, and the first thing was to call him in for interrogation because he was the last person to see her.

When Robin had called him, he was sad but when he found the police at his door, he became outraged, he wasn't living with his parents so they hadn't witnessed it.

He arrived and refused to say anything till his lawyer whom he called arrived. Sheriff Robin tried explaining but Josh stood his ground.

"Josh, it's simple.", Robin started, explaining for the fourth time. "You just have to tell me what.....", but he was cut off by someone's loud voice.

"My client is innocent until proven guilty. I repeat innocent until.....Ah, Sheriff, nice to see you.", Adam said coming to a halt in Robin's office.

Adam Flint was the lawyer of the mayor's family, whoever it was. And as Josh's father was the mayor, he was also Josh's lawyer. Adam had studied at a prestigious university and came back years after he finished.

Rumour had it that he had hit rock bottom and came here to salvage what little the town had to offer. It was a pathetic story and took a while for him to strike the deal to be the mayor's lawyer, whoever it was. So he was someone who worked solely for whoever was in position and he was a crooked man.

"I have not pressed any charges on your client. I just want to take his statement in case he can lead us to a suspect. Just like someone's statement made me bring him in for questioning.", he said.

"And what did that person say that made you suspect my client and how sure are you the person was truthful?", Adam asked and Robin started feeling irritated.

"Adam, I am not interrogating you.", Robin said.

"No you're not, but you're interrogating my client and for that, I have to be here to make sure you don't extort unnecessary infor...."

"Why would I ask him for unnecessary information? I know what I need to ask and I'm going to ask him just that.", Robin said and sighed before facing Josh.

"Now that your lawyer is here Mr Winter, I would like to know how your day started, why you visited Sarah and where you were from then till eight-thirty last night?", Robin asked and the deputy beside him got his pen, ready to put down whatever Josh would say.

Josh looked at Flint and a nod from him was confirmation that he could speak.

"I was at home, in the morning and around three pm she called saying she needed to talk about some personal relationship issues.", Josh said, giving off the hint that he wasn't going to tell him what they had talked about.

"Well I got there and of course, we didn't do much talking.", Josh said with a smug smile and now it was Robin who scowled. "So later on I left."

"When?", Robin asked.

"Um... around six-thirty.", he answered.

"And where did you go after that?", Robin asked.

"The bar.", he said simply and Robin raised a brow. "What, you can ask your cuz, Rohan and he'll tell you.", Josh said and stared back.

Rohan Hems who was Robin's cousin was a bar owner. The owner of The Lidden Pub as it was usually called. He was a calm guy and was older than Robin. He never liked putting himself into a business that wasn't his and because of this people liked him and confided in him because they were sure he wasn't going to judge them in any way, he was only going to listen. This earned him the title, "The Ville's Diary".