Chapter Twenty-Two

The New Sheriff

LISA pulled away almost as soon as he kissed her. Hugh didn't want to ask. He knew she wasn't so good with public displays of affection but he missed her so much he couldn't resist.

"Uh why don't we go and spend some time at the diner.", Raven suggested.

"Oh you guys can go but I've got some things to discuss with Moseley.", he said and Lisa and Raven gave him puzzled looks.

"I can't explain that now. Okay, why not we all meet at my place tomorrow evening after all our work. A kinda get together.", he said and they muttered replies of 'okay'.

Then Hugh pecked Lisa on the cheek before he left.

"Hey Lisa, you're with you're car right?", Miles asked and she nodded not being able to form a sentence after what just happened. She knew Pablo must be looking at her, but she just couldn't bring herself to look at him.

Gosh, they had to talk.

"Good then you can take us to the pub.", Miles said and headed out.

She and Raven shared the same look. He wanted to drink.

But it was what, almost twelve pm, she couldn't let him do that. So instead she drove them to the diner.

Once they reached, Raven and Pablo went in first and Lisa waited as Miles still sat in the passenger seat.

"Miles.", she said and held his hand, but he didn't look at her, he cast his gaze hardly on the dashboard.

"I said you should take me to the pub.", he said, his voice thick and hoarse like he was trying his best to stop himself from crying.

"I'm not gonna take you there 'cause I know how you feel and I know alcohol's not what you need now. You and Ana were good friends. I didn't know her much but I know she wouldn't want you to drink this early.", she said.

He looked outside and she had a feeling he was crying.

"Just take me home then.", he said. She sent a quick text to Raven that she was taking Miles home and then she drove off.

Inside the diner, Raven saw the text. Lisa might take time and she realised she had something to do. Yes, she wanted to spend the Sunday with Lisa but the news of Ana's murder had already put a damper on whatever they could do today.

She had to go take care of the other thing that she just remembered.

"Uh Pablo, Lisa says she's dropping Miles at his house and I think she's probably gonna talk to him. I can't wait so I'm going.", she said and stood.

"Okay.", he mumbled. He had looked a bit troubled since they arrived at the station but she hadn't asked him about it. Though she had a feeling if she did, he might not want to talk about it.

"So you're waiting?", she said and he mumbled some kind of affirmative reply. She gave him a scrutinising look before she left.

》》》》》

Madisyn stepped into the station and after acknowledging some police officers who looked somewhat angry, she went to Robin's office.