Chapter Twelve

The Victim's Boyfriend

"SO, what's brought you to Liddenville, 'cause I certainly haven't seen you here before.", Josh said.

"Oh so you're the guy who knows everyone here.", Madisyn said, she was getting comfortable with him but not letting her guard down. She could use this to her advantage. If he knew everyone here he would probably have speculations as to who could have committed the murder. Sure, she wouldn't base her investigation on that but she would consider it.

"Kind of, yeah.", he said with his charming smile again.

"Well I'm a detective, and that's Ian, my work partner.", she explained.

"Oh, no wonder. So why are you here?", he asked.

"I'm helping the sheriff investigate the murder of a lady named Sarah, obviously you would know her.", Madisyn said and his expression dropped, this Madisyn noticed.

"W... what? Did you know her personally?", she asked sounding concerned.

"No, I mean yeah I was just very close to her.", he said vaguely and Madisyn didn't press further.

"Well I'm sorry about that.", she said and in an attempt to lift the mood, "Don't you fear 'cause Madisyn is here.", she said feigning utmost bravery and at this, he chuckled.

He asked for her number and they both put their numbers on each other's phones.

"So Maddie when did you guys arrive?", he asked.

"Today."

"Huh. I suppose you haven't been around town yet.", he said.

"No. Why?", she asked.

"Would you be free tomorrow to have a tour? It could just be both of us.", he said and she smirked.

"Are you... asking me out?", she asked tilting her head slightly with a small smile.

"If you say so.", he shrugged.

"I didn't, I'm just asking.", she said and laughed.

Josh was about to say something when Madisyn looked up to see Ian approaching.

"Hey Ian, this is Josh, and Josh this is Ian.", she said and Josh turned to look at Ian who was looking at him cautiously.

"Hey.", Ian said, narrowing his eyes.

"Hey.", Josh said casually and oblivious to Ian's scrutinising stare.

"Madisyn. I'm heading back, c'mon, we should go now.", Ian said abruptly with an edge in his tone and Madisyn looked at him to see him looking at Josh.

"Awww. Are you done with your waitress friend?", she joked but Ian didn't smile.

"She's not my friend now c'mon.", he said and was about to take Madisyn's bag when Josh stopped him.

"If Maddie doesn't want to go yet, it's fine. I'll drop her off when she's ready.", he said.

"Maddie?", Ian asked and looked at her.

"Oh don't worry Josh. I'll be going now. But we'll meet tomorrow then?", she asked to confirm.

"Sure, I'm looking forward to it.", he said flashing her his smile once more.

She returned it and left to go after Ian who had left. She got in the car and Ian seemed to be angry.

"What's up with you, did your waitress friend turn you down.", she started as he drove off.