Chapter Five

The Headline

SARAH MONROE IS DEAD, MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD, SHERIFF HAS NO LEAD

ROBIN was beyond angry, he was fuming. The last part of the headline was what made him angry. Yes, he didn't have any major lead. But the town didn't have to know that. Now everyone was going to be feeling unsafe.

He didn't want most people to know till he found some good or better news so when he would break it out, he would have good news to follow it which would dampen the effect of the bad news.

This was Martins doing. She would have been the one who spearheaded it. He wanted to call and reprimand her when his phone rang.

He checked and it was the mayor, Carter Winter.

"Good day Mayor.",

"Oh good day to you Sherriff.", Mr Winter said

"I'm sure you have seen the papers.", Mr Winter started.

"Mayor sir, I have some....",

"I don't care about what it says, I'm actually shocked that I didn't know of this case. Someone died two days ago and you didn't tell me, I'm the mayor of this town if you can't make an announcement, I should. Now the people would be in an unnecessary state of panic.",

"I'll fix it, sir."

"Fix it!", Mr Winter shouted furiously.

"How would you fix this? People have started calling me and investors....", he took a deep breath before going on. "Sheriff I cannot lose investors over this. I repeat, CAN NOT, if in two weeks you still have no lead then I would be considering a new person to take over, and not just the case but also your job.", Mr Winter said and before Robin could assure him, he hung up.

Robin, furious, decided to call Gwendolyn.

"Sheriff Robin. I was expecting your call.", she said in her usual annoying voice.

"What kind of article did you publish?", he asked.

"The type the people need to...",

"Are you trying to get me fired huh? Are you?", Robin yelled.

"Excuse me, Sheriff. I am only doing my job and you have no right to talk to me in such an insolent manner. Instead, you should focus more on your job and if you're becoming unsure and incapable, you can let us know so we would find safety in a competent replacement.", she said.

"Miss Martins let me assure you that neither am I unsure or incapable of doing my job and I will find the murderer.", he seethed. Oh, how he hated this woman.

"Sheriff, do mind your words. I'm a journalist after all and if you go making promises you can't keep then it wouldn't be good for you, especially if they're towards me.", she said and hung up.

Robin took a deep sigh and sat down. Sometimes he thought those two were always plotting against him, Carter and Gwendolyn. A disgusting couple, not that they were together. If they were that would be the worst.

On one hand Carter had given him an ultimatum, two weeks. What kind of mayor was he, giving him two weeks on a murder case?

Though Carter had talked about leads, Robin fully knew Carter expected him to have solved the case by then. Given the kind of person Carter was, he wouldn't tell you want he wanted directly and expected you to figure it out.