Chapter Eleven

The Search

LISA drove the car to Hugh's house even after Pablo had suggested severally that he should drive, but she replied by saying it was her car. The awkward moment between them had been long forgotten as the music blasted away.

Lisa's hands moved to the car radio to change it but Pablo held her hand.

"What are you doing?", she asked and he removed his hand.

"What are you doing?", he asked instead.

"I'm changing it.", she said.

"But why?", Pablo asked.

"Because I don't like loud and popping music.", she said and changed it.

It was music Pablo knew and loved and now he was deflated because he couldn't listen to it.

"Oh yeah I forgot, you hate having fun.", Pablo said and looked out the window.

"What? I do not hate having fun.", she said.

"Yeah, you do. Anyone that doesn't like hip hop doesn't like to have fun because hip hop is fun. You, on the other hand, like all those songs where the singers sound like their wailing instead of singing.", he said.

"No singer sounds like that. Plus those songs are nice.", she said.

"Yeah, and these are what, crap?",

"Exactly.", she said and Pablo huffed.

One side glance at him and Lisa was laughing.

"Yeah yeah, laugh all you want.", he said and after fits of laughter, she managed to control herself.

"To think that the Pablo Louis would be so sad 'cause I didn't play his favourite hip hop music.", she said as they slowly approached Hugh's house.

"It's not my favourite, but it's a good one.", he defended.

"Oh you're such a baby.", she said as she killed the ignition. "But you're a cute one.", she said and played with his cheek.

He complained and got out of the car. Then he thought, how were they going to get inside?

Lisa saw the look on his face and was already digging her hands into her jeans pocket to bring out a set of keys, then she wiggled it in his face.

"How do you have the keys?", he asked.

"I'm his girlfriend, of course, I'll have the keys.", she said and opened the door.

"And I'm his best friend but whatever. I'll pester him about it when he comes back.", he said stepping into the house.

"Oh what, are you gonna say bros before hoes.", she said, putting the last part in air quotes.

"No.", he said and then muttered, "And you're not a hoe.". But she didn't hear him.

"So what are we looking for?", she asked as she wandered into the kitchen.

"Anything, maybe a note hidden somewhere.", he called out.

"I'll check his room then.", she said and headed inside while Pablo checked the parlour.

They spent a couple of hours in the house and when it was almost evening they were both tired but Lisa wanted to find something.

"Lisa we've got to go. We've been here for..."

"No, he should've left something. He must have. There's no way he would've left like that he couldn't have just...", her voice cracked as she settled in the chair and put her face in her hands.