Chapter Six

The Burial

IT had been almost a week. Sarah had died on Monday and now it was Sunday.

The clouds were bright so the burial was outdoors. Not a single colour apart from black was being worn. Be it a dress, suit, or shirt and trousers, it was all black as the residents of the town all came to mourn the death of a stranger who easily made her way into their hearts and was welcomed and loved by them.

Some people came up to talk. Lisa decided she couldn't so Hugh went up instead.

"Sarah was so many things to all of us. A friend. A helper. A bubble of joy always spreading it with us. And most of all a sister, to me. When she first came she was confused about so many things and it was funny seeing her getting used to our town and the way things work here. I would have never thought she would have met such a fate here, but I really wish wherever she is now that she's happy there. She deserves all the happiness in the world and if we couldn't give her that, if we couldn't make her as happy as she made us then we at least should give her justice.", he said and quietly went to his seat with a small applause.

Then Robin came up.

"Our small town has been tainted with such huge tragedy. Today is a sad day as we mourn one who was very close to us. She didn't grow up here but she came here, and as if she was one of us, she weaved her way into our hearts and lives. She was very helpful to all of us and helped me in so many ways. More than I can ever repay.", he paused.

"I know you all are wondering who did this but I want to assure you that I am here and I am the Sheriff of this town and I will at all cost bring forth the person who did this. So this town and Sarah's soul will be at peace.", he said and was given a huge applause.

On his way down the podium, he gave Gwendolyn a pointed and determined look and she gave him a 'the floor is yours' look. He looked at Carter who glared at him before he continued talking to his wife.

Now they were lowering the coffin. Josh was the first to throw sand on it once it was lowered. Then Lisa, Hugh, Raven, Pablo, Miles and some other people.

Successfully, they covered it. It took a while before people started leaving. Right now, people were just conversing.

"Did you hear how he talked.", Hugh started. "Like he was some hero. I am here and I am the Sheriff. Like how is that going to solve anything. He didn't say how or what little progress he has made, if any at all.", he added, mimicking Robin.

"C'mon Hugh, don't talk like that.", Lisa said.

"I'm serious Lis, what does he want us to do, put blind faith that he is here.", Hugh said and Miles laughed.

"Bro, why are you pissed?", Pablo asked.

"Yeah. Or is it 'cause he got a better applause than you had.", Miles said and the group burst into light laughter at Miles's statement

Even Lisa who had been dull since morning smiled. Hugh just rolled his eyes.

"C'mon Miles, look at where we are. Do you think that's what I'll think about now?", Hugh snapped.

"Woah sorry man, I didn't mean to...", Miles didn't finish cause Hugh rudely muttered something about fresh air and left.

"Don't worry Miles, he's just going through a hard time.", Lisa said.

"And so am I, but I'm trying to lighten the mood here. We lost a friend, a dear friend. Sarah was also very close to me. Not because he was closer to her doesn't mean that I don't feel the loss as much as he does.", Miles said and turned around.