Chapter Nineteen

Ana's Death

"OH wow. I guess you just made my day.", Sandra said not even hiding her amusement. Sandra, during her long wait, had been so involved with her phone, she didn't see when Ana had stepped into the police station not long ago.

Ana, on the other hand, looked very worried. She was frantically trying to smooth her hair and her dress as she was already red in the cheek.

"You know when the man at the lobby... by the way, he gives a bad reception you should get him fired. He told me that the sheriff was busy and I thought you were probably discussing with the detectives or pondering on the murder case. This was the last thing I thought you would be 'busy' with.", she said putting the word busy in air quotes.

"What do you want Ms Ruben?", Robin asked gritting his teeth. Ana had come saying she wanted to tell him something important and she seemed anxious to do so. He tried calming her down and he didn't know how but they ended up kissing and now this annoying brat had found out.

Great job Robin, he thought dryly.

"Oh please. No need to address me formally. You can always call me Sandra anytime. I'm sure you're on a first-name basis with Ana here, or do you call her Ms Matthews? I doubt that.", she said, still smiling.

"Uhm. Ana, you can leave now. We'll discuss later.", Robin muttered and Ana nodded.

"Discuss!", Sandra said incredulously. "Obviously, you guys weren't discussing. You can't fool me with such a statement.", Sandra said.

Ana started to leave but when she reached the door, Sandra stopped her and whispered, " I didn't think you to be such a slut Ana, distracting the sheriff from his duties. This would be great news by the way.", she said and Ana visibly paled as Sandra chuckled and took a seat in the office.

Ana left, paled and stiff.

"Don't worry Robin. If you answer my questions truthfully, what I just witnessed here would remain in this room.", she said with a cunning smile.

"I am not answering any of your questions.", he said through gritted teeth and narrowed eyes.

"Oh, I don't think you should use such a tone with me considering what I know and how I'm good with words and retelling of events. So are you ready?", she asked still smiling.

When he didn't answer. She sighed and stood.

"Fine then. I guess I already have a story for the Monday papers. Say, sheriff, what do you think of this line, Instead of ensuring our safety, the sheriff tends to his sexual desires.", she said and a vein in his neck became visible.

He was trying so hard to keep himself in check

"It doesn't sound so good but I'm sure to get more assistance from Gwendolyn.", she said and turned around but as she wanted to leave Robin called her back.

"Fine, what do you want to ask.", he said. He looked defeated and dull. She looked victorious and happy, though what he wanted to do was to wipe that smug smile off her face.

》》》》》

Pablo stopped the car and honked outside the huge steel gates. Lisa sat beside him as they waited for the gatekeeper to come to open up for them, which he did some second after.

Lisa marvelled at the sight of The Peters' house. They were rich but she didn't know they were that rich. Was Eugene not just the advisor to the mayor? Then how did he get such money to build a house as huge as this? Maybe they had a business that was pumping them so much money.