Chapter Thirteen

The Affairs

PABLO arrived at his office. He worked at the Mayor's building, meaning he got to see Carter Winter almost every day. He worked along with the secretary, Paula. His desk was just opposite hers.

He came in and greeted her and she replied, though a bit stiffly. He noticed this but cast it aside with the thought that she must be been having a bad morning.

They both worked in silence. Not long Gwendolyn came in. She only spoke to the secretary and didn't even cast Pablo a side glance, but he was too busy to regard that.

As the door to the mayor's office closed, Paula made a call and Pablo was within earshot.

"Ma'am, she just arrived.... Yes ma'am.... I.... Okay ma'am.", Paula said and hung up with a more worried look.

"What's wrong? Who was that?", Pablo asked. He wasn't the type to butt into people's affairs or listen in on their calls. But she seemed so worried he just had to ask.

"Well, it's Mrs Winter. You know, lately, Miss Martins has been dropping by the office often.", Paula started and Pablo paused to think.

She really had been dropping by every week, he thought.

"So Mrs Winter got suspicious of Mr Winter and Miss Martins.", she paused. "And now she thinks something is going on between them and she wants me to find out, or listen in on their conversation.", she explained.

Pablo then understood why she was worried. Paula did not like awkward situations. And if Mrs Winter's suspicions were right then it would be an awkward situation for Paula.

"Fine, I'll check what they're up to and I'll let you know. Then you can tell Mrs Winter whatever it is.", he said and stood up.

"Really? Oh, how kind. Thank you.", she said and then muttered. "I really hope it's not what she thinks."

Pablo headed towards the office. He stopped at the door to hear for any voices or sounds, to know what he would be walking into, but there were none.

He knocked lightly and immediately opened the door to see Gwendolyn on Carter's lap in a heated make-out session with him. He cleared his throat to get their attention and Gwendolyn scrambled out of his lap and tried fixing her hair, while Carter stared at Pablo.

There was silence at first before Pablo spoke.

"I'm sorry for... uh... interrupting. I'll come back later.", he said and made to leave but Carter called him back.

"Gwendolyn, you can go. I'll take care of this.", Carter said and she fixed herself before leaving, but not after giving Pablo a pleading look.

That's a first, he thought.

"Pablo come in, and do shut the door.", Carter said and Pablo did so, but he didn't sit.

"I would ask of you to please keep what you saw between three of us, that's including Gwendolyn. My wife can't know about this."

"Then why do it?", Pablo asked.

"'Cause I love Gwendolyn.", he said and Pablo gave him a confused look.

"If you love her then why are you married to your wife? Can't you divorce her instead of cheating on her.", he said.

"It's not that easy you know. There's something called acrimony."

"Acrimony or not, that's no reason to cheat on her. You're married. If she finds out how...",

"And that's why I'm asking you not to tell her. Look I'll give you a raise..."