Volume Four Chapter Eight

Yang Xiao Long is sitting on a green couch in her home on Patch. She looks at the stack of three books on her right and instead picks up the remote control to her left. With a click, the projected scene comes on, revealing a news segment from the VBC channel.

Glynda Goodwitch is shown unsuccessfully piecing together a building. Across the bottom of the screen, it reads: BEACON INACCESSIBLE.

"...with no end in sight. Try as they might, the local Huntsmen and Huntresses can't seem to get a hold of the situation at Beacon Academy." A reporter says on their news broadcast.

Yang clicks the remote. As the next reporter speaks, the large lettering across the screen are slowly revealed backward, from the perspective of someone facing Yang. It reads: CCT Repairs "Underway". The subheading reads: Atlas officials working on solution, but not optimistic.

"...though the fail-safes have supported wireless communication within the kingdom, the loss of the CCT Tower continues to prevent contact with the outside world. Talks with Atlas officials regarding repairs have so far—"

Yang clicks again, cutting off the reporter and bringing up yet another news segment. A horned anchorman speaks above the caption: Sending Citizens Home. The corner caption has the logo for VOX News.

"...Vale council voted this week to continue to ban any air traffic that does not have a direct correlation with evacuation. The council has made it clear that they feel—"

Yang clicks again. Her eyes widen and she sits up.

Lisa Lavender's voice rings out, finally a familiar reporter. "Multiple rumors continue to circulate as to who was behind the attacks at the Vytal Festival Tournament." The screen shows anchor Lisa Lavender and the VNN logo. The caption below her reads: WHITE FANG MEMBER, ADAM TAURUS, PRESENT DURING BEACON GRIMM ATTACK. "While no one knows for sure, officials have confirmed that high-ranking White Fang member, Adam Taurus..." Adam's image appears on the screen at his name being spoken. "...was present for the attack. Any and all attempts to bring him into custody have been met with brutal force—"

Yang turns the news off. She sits there holding the remote, and a door clicks open.

Taiyang Xiao Long shouts as he enters. "I'm home!"

Yang sets the remote down and leans her head backward on the couch, looking up at the newcomer that way. "Hey, Dad."

Taiyang is shown upside-down at first, as he would appear to Yang, but the image promptly rights itself. He is carrying three boxes with two bags hanging from his forearms. "Guess what came in today!" The door shuts behind Taiyang as he walks into the living room.

Yang turns to her father. "What?"

"I can't wait for you to try this." He walks into another room to unload, while on the couch Yang looks somewhat interested. Taiyang returns, carrying one long white box. He sets it on the coffee table in front of Yang, revealing the Kingdom of Atlas symbol on it. She looks at it and doesn't move. "Well?"

"It's... for me?"

Taiyang nods. "For you and you only."

Yang lifts the lid off the box to reveal a robotic right arm. Yang looks it over, somewhat wide-eyed while her father gushes. She blinks and her eyes droop a bit, revealing she's more distressed than pleased.

"Brand new, state of the art Atlas tech. You know, I thought I was gonna have to pull some strings, call in a few favors, but you earned this one all on your own, kiddo."

Yang looks up at her father. "Huh?"

"Before I could even talk to him, General Ironwood already had one of his top scientists working on this, for you. He wanted me to tell you that you fought admirably. You should be proud of yourself." Yang looks up at her father but says nothing. "Well? You going to try it on?"