Volume Four Chapter Ten

The landscape is looking dreary as Ruby Rose can be heard breathing heavily.

Ruby looks down on her uncle helping carry  him as they continue. "Just hold on, Uncle Qrow."

Ruby and Jaune Arc carry Qrow on a makeshift stretcher. Rei Ferrari leads the team, Lie Ren is before them on the path, while Nora Valkyrie and Sky Grimoire bring up the rear. Qrow is groaning in pain and is a touch delirious.

Qrow speaks to himself almost in a state of delusion. "Tai. She's not... coming... (grunting in pain) Tai." Qrow coughs repeatedly.

Jaune glances back. "He's getting worse."

Ruby looks to the two leaders. "How much farther?"

"We've gotta be close." Nora says.

"Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something." Rei says. Ren holsters StormFlower.

"What is it?" Ruby asks as Rei stops. Directly ahead is a fork in the road with a signpost. They are coming from the direction of Higanbana. Kuchinashi and Mistral are to the right, where the land is mountainous. To the left is Kuroyuri, its name crossed out. The path that way remains low ground.

"Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh..." Nora says rushing a bit to the front.

"Does it say how close?!" Ruby asks.

"No. And it looks like the path takes us up the mountains." Rei announces.

Jaune and Ruby set Qrow down. "Guys, I don't know if all of us can make that climb." Jaune says.

Ruby looks at Qrow, concerned, before rushing forward to the signpost. "Okay. Well, what about this place? (pointing) Kuro... Kuroyuri? Can we get help there?" Ruby asks.

Jaune approaches.

Ren shakes his head. "That village was destroyed years ago."

"But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got." Jaune argues.

Ren sternly turns to the others. "It will take too long."

"The town would have had a doctor, right? Maybe we could scavenge for medicine!" Ruby suggests.

Jaune nods. "Right!"

Ren closes his eyes, lowering his head and shaking it. "We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!" There is just a brief moment of silence. Ruby watches him, clutching her hands before her chest.

Jaune looks to his teammate. "Ren, why are you acting—."

Nora cuts Jaune off and coming up beside Ren. "We can split up." Rei and Ruby both turn to her. Nora puts her hand on Ren's shoulder. "Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you four take Qrow around through the village."

Jaune shakes his head. "No, we're supposed to stick together! We keep each other safe!"

Rei nods. "We don't have time for safe! If they make it to Mistral, they can bring back help! If they don't, at least the pair will have a better view of the land! Up there, they can see if there's somewhere else we can go." Rei agrees with Nora's idea.

Ren turns and looks at Nora. They exchange small, affectionate smiles. Still holding his gaze, Nora drops her hand from his shoulder. All six remain silent, feeling the weight of the choice before them. Qrow coughs, making them all turn in concern and giving the motive to continue.

Jaune looks at Ruby before turning to Nora and Ren. "OK." Jaune says. Jaune steps forward and he and Ren hug each other. "Just take care of each other."