Back To Reality

*Maddie's POV*

"I told you to be back by 9 last night. It's unacceptable that you never listen to me! Mia came back on time but where were you?!" My stepmom was directly in front of my face, almost spitting on me. Oh how much i wanted to create a connection between my hand and her cheek.

"You don't understand! I was having such a good night and I-"

"I don't care, Maddie, my rules. From now on you do what I say otherwise you're grounded!"

"You're not my mum...!" I was on the verge of crying. She made me so angry. I just wanted to enjoy one night but clearly I wasn't even allowed to do that and if being 18 years old wasn't 'adult' enough. Imagine being grounded at age 18.

"Mia is still asleep so get out and go to school before you wake her up,"

I walked upstairs. My blood was boiling. I was back to reality. Maddie, the nobody, with an evil stepmom.

Mia was already awake.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that," I was so ashamed.

"It's okay, Maddie, have a good day at school. I'll see you later." She smiled at me.

————————

I was faced with the double doors from last night where I entered as Bebe.

"Hey loser, you should've seen the girl with Dom last night. She's stunning and you'll never be her."

She knew I liked him but who didn't?

"Amelia just get lost..." I wasn't in the mood. I had the best night of my life and it's all over.

"Who do you think you are-" she snapped.

I walked away from her. I didn't want her to win anymore.

I dragged myself to my mathematics classroom. I was terrified to see Dom in case he could tell.
I sat in my assigned seat which was right in front of Dom's seat. My heart was fluctuating, making me feel nauseous. I spent all morning scrubbing the makeup off of my face and desperately trying to tie my straight hair up which i wasn't used to doing.

I waited until Dom came through the door. He was wearing black skinny jeans and a black casual shirt. He looked so damn good.

I tried to ignore him so I just faced the front and took a deep breathe. My heart stopped when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.

"Ummm...can I borrow a pen? Do you have a spare?"

I slowly turned around. Dom was leaning over his desk, glaring at me.

"Oh, yeah sure," my heart was racing. I handed him my spare pen with my shaky hand.

"Thank you. What's your name again?" He asked.

"Maddie."

For a moment I thought he was going to see through my nerdy glasses and see Bebe, the girl he fell head over heels with last night.

He smiled at me. I smiled back.

Throughout the lesson, I was listening to Dom's fingers smack his phone as he typed to 'the girl he met yesterday' as he was telling Colby how he thought he found the love of his life. What a shame I couldn't reply until after lesson.

Oh shit. My phone went off! He's bound to be suspicious now!

I picked up my books, my bag and dashed out the room after getting permission from my teacher. I was shaking. My whole body had gone limp and I had no idea where to run to.

I sprinted to the girls toilets.

That was close.

A coincidental text message isn't enough to give Bebe away but I didn't want to risk humiliating myself with rejection in front of my whole maths class!

Now I just had to find a way to explain this to my principal when he asks why I didn't return to class.

I spent too long panicking about what my school would say and then suddenly I remembered the reason I ran away. The text! I whipped out my phone.

Gucci? What a weird choice of word

Gucci? What a weird choice of word. I'm not really up to date with slang id i'm honest. I can't believe I just agreed to carry on playing this game. What if I get caught?

I couldn't give him my address! That would give it all away! I had to think fast

I couldn't give him my address! That would give it all away! I had to think fast. I really hoped that he wouldn't insist picking me up from my house or i was screwed. Luckily, he didn't insist. Now that was planned, I had to go home and get ready even if it meant missing school. I didn't want to face my principal. Not today.