Assembly (kleinphy/conman)

Request for SmolCrazyBean ! Hope you enjoy!sorry it took so long, I've never written angst before. And sorry if I get parts wrong, I've only ever seen a bootleg of the first act. I've heard the whole soundtrack but I have no idea what they say during the fight.

T/W: mention of suicide, implied suicide

"Students. Please make your way to the auditorium for a surprise assembly."

Jared stuffed his backpack into his locker after grabbing his phone and meandered there. These assembly's never affected him, anyways. School spirit? Yeah, right. Safe driving? His parents were paying for his car insurance. Eating healthy? He already had a safe amount of chub. He rolled his eyes. After all, his sarcastic inner monologue was probably the best thing about him.

He sat down in the closest empty part of the bleachers and popped in his earbuds, ready to hear full grown men rapping about America's founding fathers. He was just about to relax when he saw a picture of  Connor Murphy projected onto the wall. He immediately pulled out his headphones, shocked and worried.

"-are sorry to say that last night an Mr.Connor Murphy overdosed on depression medication, successfully committing suicide." Jared rushed to reply his ears with his earbuds, tears springing into his eyes. He quickly wiped his face with the sleeve of his jacket, pretending to blow his nose. The kids surrounding him were already curious as to why he was so upset.

Jared could see all the other kids snickering, probably saying something about how Connor was better of dead. Without any warning he stood straight up, back rigid, grabbed his stuff, and ran off.

~this time skip brought to you by the CronchTM~

"Jared!" Even called out, finally spotting his only friend on his way home  for the first time after the assembly. Jared started walking faster.

"Jared!" He shouted again.

"Go away! Leave me alone." Jared sniffled, Evan just now realizing that his friend was crying. Evan ran as fast as he could, his small body jerking side to side with the motion of his huge back pack. He finally reached Jared and grasped the handle of his back pack. Jared just kept walking, dragging the blonde boy with him.

"What happened?" Evan persisted. "Why did you leave in the middle of the assembly?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"I'm just going to follow you all the way home, you know."

"Evan..."

"Evan what?" Evan coaxed him.

"Evan leave me alone." Jared finished.

"Fine. I'll leave you alone while we walk. But can I at least stay the night at your house?"

"Whatever." Jared said, shaking Evan off of his backpack.

Jared walked up the steps to his house, Evan trailing behind him. As soon as he unlocked the door Evan slid himself in and almost flew over to the couch.

The boys worked on homework until Evan brought something up. The Murphy's thought that Evan was best friends with their dead (gay) son. Naturally, the two boys were creating false emails pretending to be having an exchange between the Evan and Connor. Jared seemed upset the entire time. They got into an argument, Jared thought this was stupid, but Evan bursted out with something he could never take back.

"Go ahead, tell everyone you pretended to be a dead kid who killed himself!"

"Connor." Was all Jared could muster as he broke down sobbing.

"It doesn't even matter. He was a dick to you at school anyways, why can't you just leave well enough alone?"

"He's not a dick. He's -or, he was. I can't. Evan I really can't. " Jared cried.

"What?" Evan snarled.

"Well enough? You think a dead Connor is well enough?He was so amazing. Beautiful. Perfect. So funny and kind. I loved him. Evan, I loved him. I still love him. I don't know what to do." Jared admitted.

"Woah. You start over. You had a crush on Connor Murphy?" Evan was shocked. Jared just snorted.

"A crush? Try he was my boyfriend."

"What?!" Evan gasped.

"Yeah, I mean we were dating for so long. We didn't want everyone to know about us so Connie pretended to bully he like he did with everyone else. It's not that big a deal." Jared shrugged, too dead inside to show any discernible emotion, besides the tears currently staining his face.

"Oh my God, Jared."

"Yeah. So how about you leave me alone. Everyone thinks he's better off dead. They probably think the same about me. Why don't I just go back to Connor. I would say sorry, Evan, but it just occurred to me how little you really care about me."

"Jared- that's not what I meant."

"Yeah. It never is, is it?" Jared asked. Evan didn't respond. "That's what I thought." Jared got up and locked himself in his room.

"Jare-!"

And all Evan heard was a muffled scream, the scream of someone who knew the pain was coming.

Silence.

Dead silence.

~

A/N wow sorry that took so long and is so bad, I haven't ever written angst before.

My updates are gonna be taking longer by the way, because school just started.

Also .. WE ARE ONLY 75 READS AWAY FROM 1K!!!!!

Also, my bestest friend just published the first two chapters of her first book on wattpad! You can find her at too_many__fandoms   !!!!

Anyways, have a great day loves!💋💋