Chapter Eighteen ~ Cafeteria

It was weird but surprisingly nice to sit together during lunch, neither of them expected it would be so easy.

"People are staring." Y/N furrowed her brow as she looked around the busy cafeteria.

"Of course they're looking, you're sitting alone with me and usually we don't talk." Taehyung took a bite of his burger and shrugged his shoulders as though people staring didn't bother him.

"So you're okay with this?" Y/N motioned her hand around the cafeteria and cocked a brow quizzically.

"What? People looking at me?" He paused, mouth still full as he looked around. "Yeah, guess I'm used to it." He finished with a wink before washing his burger down with a moutful of Sprite.

"Figures." Y/N rolled her eyes but couldn't help smiling as Taehyung waggled his brows playfully.

"Tae you confuse me, one minute you try everything possible to avoid me and then suddenly you're eating lunch with me and showing up at my house.... half naked." She whispered the last part, prodding at the pasta she made herself for lunch.

Tae lowered his gaze, taking a moment to collect his thoughts before responding.

"It's complicated but just give me time okay, I promise you'll find out eventually."

"Give me something to work with here, anything at all." The confused girl sitting across the table from him looked beautiful even with her furrowed brow and tired eyes.

"Haven't you been sleeping?" He asked instead of giving her what she wanted.

"What makes you ask that?"

"Your eyes, they look tired and usually they...." He shrugs, words trailing off.

"Usually they....sparkle or whatever." He coughs, eyes darting around the cafeteria.

"Sorry what? Sparkle or whatever?" She bites back her smile.

"You heard me." He rolls his eyes and leans back, finally giving her attention.

"Okay, I'll make a deal with you. I'll tell you why I haven't been sleeping well lately if you explain to me why suddenly you want to hang out with me AND..." She raises her index finger, voice getting higher on the 'and' which makes him smirk.

"....and what?" He urges her to continue.

"Tell me why you ending things with Megan and why you keep.....doing things with me." It was her turn now to become nervous, she felt her cheeks burn.

"Okay deal." He smiled, the first genuine one in a long time as he noticed her blush.

"Okay so you go first." She pushed her pasta away, giving the handsome boy across from her complete attention.

"Megan wasn't working out, we didn't have chemistry so that's why it didn't end like she wanted it to. I should feel bad because I know she's upset but for some reason I don't, we just didn't make sense as a couple." Taehyung hadn't spoken with someone like this in a long time, he only really felt comfortable enough to speak honestly around the guys so this was all very new and surprising to him.

"I'm sorry it didn't work out for you guys."

"Liar." Taehyung smirked and cocked a brow playfully as he called her out.

"Excuse me?" Her striking eyes narrowed which only amused him more.

"I know you don't like her, I can tell."

"Oh really? Enlighten me as to how you know me so well that you can tell when I don't like someone."  She crossed her arms over her chest and raised both brows, daring him to take the challenge.  

"I just do, I can't explain it." He leaned over the table and pushed her pasta closer. "Eat, you've hardly had anything." If she wasn't mistaken his eyes held concern for her as he urged her to finish the pasta.

"I'll eat when you've finished answering my questions."

"At least take a bite, then I'll answer anything you want....within reason."

"Fine." She huffed and grabbed the fork, spearing a few pasta twirls and popping them in her mouth.

"Why do you suddenly have an interest in me....why did you ignore me at first?"

Taehyung took a moment to answer, she wasn't ready for the truth yet so he created something else to keep her happy.

"Back home....at my old college there was a girl who treated me badly and it didn't end well with us. I guess....you reminded me of her and that's why I kept my distance."  He felt awful for lying to her but she wasn't ready for the truth yet, especially in the middle of the cafeteria when they were only just starting to get to know each other.

"I'm sorry she hurt you so badly but I'm not her....I would never hurt you or anybody else for that matter." She smiled and without thinking took his hand, lacing their fingers together. "So, what's with the almost kisses and kitten thing? Also....about you showing up at my place, what's the deal with that?" She whispered, feeling herself blush again.

"I'm sorry, I don't think things through before doing them. I just....well there's something about you, something that makes me want to get to know you better. I also feel awful for the whole half naked thing, I wasn't in the right state of mind." Taehyung was never usually nervous but this beautiful girl opposite him, the one destined to be his mate had him totally tongue tied.

"I would like that."

"Hm?" Taehyung cocked a brow, not hearing what she said as all he could focus on was the softness of her hands and how he loved spending time with her like this.

"I would like to spend more time together, for us to really get to know each other and be....friends before anything else." Y/N marvelled at how big his hands were, fingers long and slender.

The two didn't even notice how many people were now watching them with great interest, the two students who rarely spoke now holding hands and whispering intimately.

"Okay, sounds good." Taehyung felt guilty for coming on so strong, he was known as a playboy back at his old college and so this was just his way of interacting with girls yet Y/N wasn't just a girl to him....she was so much more and he needed to approach her differently.

"Okay, how about we start tonight. I'm going to take a walk later, usually take my camera with me to take some photos. I....would you....maybe you could...." She cursed inwardly, why was she suddenly getting nervous now.

"I'll come with you." Taehyung smiled and squeezed her hand, the way she stuttered and blushed sent his heart wild within the confines of his chest.

"Okay, good. I'll meet you by the gates after the last lecture finishes, that okay with you?" She nibbled nervously on her bottom lip and he so badly wanted to reach across and run his thumb over it.

"Sounds perfect." He responded....just like you....he thought.