Chapter Sixty One ~ The Clearing

Namjoon was a natural born leader, he listened more than he spoke but when he did speak it was with the kind of even paced certainty that people listen to without question or doubt.

He was never quick to judge, always considered every angle first and he was above all else compassionate in his ways. He strove to do no harm in all he did, when it came to pack tasks he always pushed himself to the limits and through his example his pack pushed themselves too which is why they always worked so well together. Namjoon always praised the other six but they all knew they'd be nothing without their Alpha.....

He was the glue that held them together.

He was the heart that kept beating no matter the odds yet this was going to be his biggest challenge yet.

~

The smell of blood hit Namjoon once they passed the clearing, Yoongi used the pack link to warn him that the body was near but nothing could prepare Namjoon for the horrific sight of mangled flesh.

"Jesus fucking Christ."

Namjoon moved closer, nose brushing along the ground as he surveyed the carnage.

"The blood has coagulated, this happened some time ago. I don't even know how we're supposed to identify the body, there's hardly anything left."

Namjoon used the link to communicate with Yoongi as he continued to survey the immediate vicinity, there was literally nothing left of the victim and he felt his stomach churn.

"I never knew your old pack was so barbaric." Namjoon growled, he wanted to make them pay for this but not until the pack was better prepared.

"I'm sorry Namjoon, you shouldn't be involved in this.....I'm to blame for the death of this innocent."

Namjoon didn't blame Yoongi and he certainly would never regret making him a part of his pack, the seven of them just didn't make sense without the other.

"We're family Yoongi, don't ever blame yourself for this because I don't and never will."

Namjoon knew exactly who was to blame and soon they would meet their match, their pack wasn't as bestial but that didn't mean the seven of them couldn't fight against the likes of such creatures.

"Namjoon! There's clothing here!"

"Any identification?"

Namjoon approached the foliage where Yoongi stood, the Beta pulled back to make room as his nose pushed a badly torn wallet in the direction of his Alpha.

Something settled deep inside Namjoon which hadn't manifested in many years......fear.

Fear of who the innocent could be.

Fear of what was to come once the townspeople discovered what remained of the body.

Fear of the rival pack.

To lead, to have authority over the lives of those you love can either be the hardest or the easiest thing in the world.

Easy when as a leader you can praise and show appreciation.

Hardest when you have to make decisions that sometimes mean you're not exactly their favourite person and then there's that word.....a word which every leader fears

Failure

Namjoon never approached a situation believing he would fail, he always found the confidence because if he was to falter then so would his pack and he would never forgive himself if that happened yet this time was different......what if he failed?

What if he couldn't protect them?

What if he couldn't keep his promise to always keep them safe?

Namjoon would sooner die then allow them to suffer the same fate this innocent tragically had.......his life would gladly be given to spare them this.

The Alpha pushed open the wallet, striking amber eyes falling across a faded drivers license.

"Kunpimook Bhuwakul." Namjoon didn't recognize the name.

"I've never heard the name before." Yoongi would never forget the face of this innocent, they lost their life because of his mistake.....this was all his fault.

"Yoongi stop blaming yourself, you didn't know this would happen. I need you to focus, right now you need to be at your best."

"You're right Joon, I'm sorry.....I'm here and I'm focused."

Yoongi couldn't go back and change what happened no matter how badly he wished it could be different.....so instead he would make them pay for their actions.

"Good, that's what I wanted to hear. I want you to head back and inform the rest of what we've found here, I'll stay and see if there's anything else we've missed."

"Be careful" Yoongi hated leaving his Alpha alone, especially with the rival pack so close but he wasn't one to disobey.

Namjoon watched as Yoongi headed back to the house, hopefully someone would know who the innocent was....what a tragic waste of life.

So young

So much life left to live....taken without remorse.

"I'll make them pay.....I promise you."

Kim Namjoon would never stop until he fulfilled this vow, he was Alpha for a reason.